Welcome to 'TeachingEnglish: Key digital skills'
How will the course help me?
Develop beginner digital skills and learn how to use documents, worksheets, search, presentations and videoconferencing to enhance your teaching.
What does the course include?
TeachingEnglish: Key digital skills is a self-study training course, which is divided into three hour modules. It also includes:
- A dedicated Facebook community of course participants with up-to-date insight, resources and innovative ideas for you to try out.
- Engaging discussions taking place in the Facebook community
- Live events with your course tutor and language teaching experts.
- A free workbook with extra learning content and resources.
What will I learn?
- Module 1: Using word processors
This module explores how to work with word processing programs, like Microsoft Word or Google Docs.
- Module 2 - Using slideshows
This module explores how to work with slideshow programs, like PowerPoint or Google Slides.
- Module 3 - Using spreadsheets and search
This module introduces you to using spreadsheets to keep track of learners' marks and exam results. It also introduces you to search engines and how to use them more efficiently.
- Module 4 - Videoconferencing
This aim of this module is to help you use videoconferencing in your teaching - using tools like Zoom to meet your learners online and conduct classes with them.
When is the course?
The course is available from 9 January 2024. Enrolment ends on 29 January 2024 and the course closes on 5 February 2024.
How much does the course cost?
The course is free.
How can I get a certificate?
For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 60% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.
What level of English do I need?
Minimum CEFR B1
How do I sign up for the course?
Please follow the steps below carefully to access this free training course.
IMPORTANT: If you are already logged in to your free TeachingEnglish account, we recommend that you log out and log in again.
- Step 1: Log in to your existing TeachingEnglish account or create a free TeachingEnglish account.
- Step 2: Enrol on your course
How do I access the course after I have enrolled?
IMPORTANT: If you didn't log out of TeachingEnglish after your previous visit, do this first.
From your desktop or laptop computer
- Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
- If you have enrolled in the course, you will see 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the menu bar at the top of the page next to the Home button.
- Move your mouse over MY PORTFOLIO to see the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘My courses’ to access your training.
From your mobile device
- Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines next to the home button to open the menu.
- Below ‘Home’, you will see MY PORTFOLIO and ‘My courses’ below. Tap on MY PORTFOLIO if you don’t see ‘My courses’.
- Tap on ‘My courses’ to access your training.
Having problems accessing the course?
Please see our troubleshooting guide below if you are having problems accessing the course.
Support and troubleshooting
If you have signed up for this course and have problems accessing your learning, please make sure you are logged in, then click or tap the link below:
If you are still having problems accessing your course, please see the advice and videos below:
- I can't register for the course
Please make sure you have created a free TeachingEnglish account or that you are logged in to your existing account. If registration is available, you will see instructions for 'How do I register for this course?' at the top of this page. If registration is not available, you will see the message 'This course is not available for registration'.
- I can't access the course. I am logged in to my account, but when I click or tap 'My courses' from MY PORTFOLIO I just go to my profile page
Check that you are not logged into your TeachingEnglish account on a different device or browser. Log out of your account on all devices and browsers, and log in again. Click or tap 'My courses' from MY PORTFOLIO. You should be taken to your training course. If you still can't access your course, log out, clear the cache on your browser and log in again.
- I can't get my certificate
Certificates are available to participants who complete 70% of the course material. To access your certificate, go to the course platform where you have done your training. Click or tap 'My awards'. If you have completed 70% of the course, your certificate should be available to download.
- The name on my certificate is wrong
On the course platform where you access your training, please use the 'Help' button to request a new certificate. Names on certificates are taken from your personal details in your free TeachingEnglish account. To change your name, click or tap on your name to edit your profile. Update the details on your profile page and save the new details.
What can I do now?
While you're waiting for the online modules to open, if you're interested in learning more about key digital skills, you can:
- Get teaching ideas from our Courses for teachers Facebook community.
- Access learning content related to our courses on Facebook (Facebook account required).
- Access teaching resources on the TeachingEnglish website.