Teacher educators support the professional development of prospective and practising teachers. They perform a wide range of roles that might include:
- informally providing advice to early career teachers in a school setting
- delivering training to teachers within a ministry of education teacher development programme
- working as an e-moderator within a MOOC for teachers
- working as a tutor on a certificate or diploma level teacher qualification course in a private training institute
- overseeing professional development provision as a school principal or director of studies
- conducting academic research into teacher education in a university setting
- facilitating a community of practice made up of teachers working on a collaborative output
- working as an inspector or supervisor evaluating the competence and performance of classroom teachers
- formally mentoring undergraduate/postgraduate teachers-in-training.
Whichever role or setting you work in, the British Council can support you with your professional and career development. Our support is open to all and free of charge.
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Framework for teacher educators
We organise our work around the British Council’s CPD Framework for teacher educators which describes the kinds of knowledge, skills and approaches to professional development that teacher educators need to be effective in their roles.
- Self-assessment tool and profile chart
Evaluate your current strengths and areas for development:
1. Answer the questions in our teacher educator self-assessment tool
2. Complete your teacher educator profile chart
3. Plan your learning pathway. Here is a completed example profile chart to help you.
Our self-directed learning resources are here for you to use in your learning pathway and are mapped against the CPD framework for teacher educators. These resources, produced by experts and practitioners from around the world, include articles, blog posts, webinars, conference recordings, practical tips, and guidance.
- Webinars for teacher educators
Our teacher educator webinars are designed to provide professional development opportunities for you to develop professionally through interactive activities and opportunities to reflect and comment on key themes within teacher education. Join these monthly sessions to give you access to a global network of English Language Teaching experts, educators and trainers who are involved in supporting teachers.
See our complete webinar programme. Sign up for our next scheduled webinar or watch recordings of previous webinars for a teacher educator audience.
- Monthly teacher educator newsletter
We have a monthly newsletter covering current themes in teacher education and containing news and activity from the teacher educator network. Subscribe here.