Please note: Applications for the ELTons Innovations Awards 2021 are now closed.
This year marks 20 years of the British Council ELTons Awards, the only international awards for innovation in English language teaching. Throughout 2022, the anniversary celebrations will honour innovators past and present. We'll take the chance to look back at the trends which have shaped our industry in recent decades and look ahead to the innovations of the future.
Each year, the British Council’s ELTons awards for innovation in English language education celebrate the most original courses, publications, projects, apps and platforms that are finding new ways to help English language learners and teachers around the world achieve their goals.
In the last two years, professionals in the global English language teaching community have shown extraordinary resourcefulness, finding ways to limit the disruption to learners’ education, at an unparalleled pace. The ELTons 2022 is an opportunity to recognise and celebrate teams and individuals innovating against the odds.
If you’re an educator in a low-resource context, a member of an international team or organisation – large or small – or an author or entrepreneur flying solo, we want to hear from you.
In 2021, an impressive field of over 180 entries came from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas, spanning the different needs of English language learners at every age, in diverse contexts. The British Council is committed to making sure the ELTons Innovation Awards are inclusive and reflect the broad diversity of English language education around the world. We welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds.
Professionals in English language education around the world – educators, leaders, publishers, project managers, writers and authors – are invited to apply for the prestigious, international awards, across one of the five ELTons’ categories:
- Excellence in Course Innovation – Courses using a fresh variety of content, formats, or media, to help learners achieve stretching levels of English language proficiency.
- Innovation in Teacher Resources – Resources supporting English language teaching professionals, whether through teacher training, education, or Continuing Professional Development.
- Innovation in Learner Resources – Services, activities, materials or works using innovative means to improve English language learners’ proficiency in vocabulary, grammar, fluency, receptive and productive skills, or vital language skills for study or for work.
- Digital Innovation – Use of digital technology or media – cutting edge technologies, or original use of existing technology – to benefit high-quality English language learning
- Local Innovation – Resources or project innovating to meet specific, local needs, within local, national or regional contexts around the world
ELTons Judges’ Commendations
In addition to submitting an innovation into one of the ELTons’ five main award categories, applicants could also choose to put their entry forward to be considered for two special commendations, the ELTons Judges’ Commendations for:
- Environmental Sustainability and Climate Action
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)*
The two commendations are not separate award categories but are additional commendations given only to the finalists of the awards.
*It is recommended that applicants who wish to enter their product for the commendation first read the guidance on the British Council’s approach to EDI (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion), available below.
Key dates for the ELTons 2022
- Wednesday 9 March:
Webinar for prospective applicants - find out more
- Thursday 17 March: Application deadline
Deadline for completed application forms (including entry samples) to be submitted electronically via the online ELTons’ submission portal.
- March to late-April:
Judging - round one
- Late April to late-June:
Judging - round two. Selection of ELTons 2022 finalists
- Early September:
Announcement of the ELTons 2022 finalists
- Summer 2022:
Judging - round three. Selection of ELTons 2022 winners.
- November 2022:
ELTons 2022 awards ceremony
The ELTons Awards ceremony
Each year, hundreds of nominations are carefully reviewed and considered by a panel of experts, using the Delphi method to draw up the shortlist. All finalists are invited to the annual ELTons Awards Ceremony, a prestigious event on the English teaching calendar attended by leading figures in the sector.
The British Council ELTons Awards for Innovation in English language teaching are the British Council’s own innovation awards and have become one of the most anticipated events in the English Language Teaching calendar.
The ELTons 2022 ceremony will be hosted in November.
ELTons finalists and winners report that the awards raise the profile of their work and allow them to reach new networks and audiences.
The ELTons inspire and encourage English language teaching professionals to explore high quality, practical and innovative educational products, publications, apps and projects for English language teaching and learning, supporting English language learners and teachers achieve their teaching and learning goals.