- I give my students templates with headings:
Word Meaning Part of speech Example of usage
- The students choose a word that they would like to adopt and do some research on it using the template above.
- Each student then gives a short presentation on his or her adopted word until all the class has had a chance.
- The words are then stuck to a large paper chart on the wall.
- This activity carries on the entire year with students sharing more and more words.
- In between we have quizzes about the new words. The students greatly enjoy contributing words, researching and presenting.
Thank you so much for posting this idea. I'm going to try this for my word watch practise in the class.
I would add a fifth box: register. Students will need to check with their dictionary or a native speaker to see if it's standard or slang, formal or informal, polite or rude, common or archaic. Context is very important. Not all new vocabulary is created equal.
Excellent idea and thanks for sharing. Headbloom, now that idea for an additional column, is a welcome one indeed. Thank you guys, much appreciated.