Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching

Learn and reflect on the skills you need to develop when you make the change from classroom to remote teaching.

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching'

In this practical five-week course, you will develop the skills you need for remote teaching and reflect on how they relate to your learners’ learning. You will learn about different approaches to remote teaching and consider what factors make the transition from the physical to online classroom successful.

You will explore:

• planning and adapting materials
  • managing learning for remote teaching
  • assessment and how it can impact on motivation
  • flipped, cooperative and game-based learning.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding remote teaching

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand common terminology used in remote teaching
  • identify useful approaches used by remote teachers, such as flipped learning and game-based learning
  • be encouraged to  reflect on your own teaching, how learners learn online and how you teach remotely
  • better help and safeguard your learners when learning remotely
  • help parents and caregivers to support remote learning at home.
Module 2: Planning and adapting materials

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• take a practical approach to planning the content you use and how to adapt it for remote teaching
  • understand how to develop writing skills online
  • plan a speaking lesson for the remote classroom
  • Make the most of receptive skills (listening, reading) in the remote classroom
  • use a range of techniques to overcome some of the common issues when teaching remotely
  • reduce barriers to access and engagement and make your materials more accessible
Module 3: Managing learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• reflect on classroom management and think about the skills you use when teaching face-to-face and how to transfer them to teach remotely
  • learn strategies to effectively manage and give feedback to learners online
  • make informed decisions about digital tools and resources to use to enhance your teaching
  • more effectively manage your own professional development and decide which areas of your teaching you want to improve
  • better monitor and improve your work–life balance.
Module 4: Assessing and motivating learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand different kinds of assessment and reflect on your own assessment methods.
  • explore remote assessment tasks for different linguistic skills.
  • understand how motivation impacts assessment.
  • become familiar with the use of digital portfolios
  • explore peer and self-assessment as part of assessment for learning and learning how to learn.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced later this year

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Comments

Submitted by Anasa_25421 on Tue, 05/10/2022 - 14:57

Hi! My name is Anastasia. Ma account name is Anasa_25421. I am new to this website. Yesterday I enrolled in the "Skills for remote teaching". It was written that anyone could register up to the 9 May. So did I. I started the course. I felt very happy and enthusiastic about it. But now I can't see this course in "My portfolio". Please guide me what to do. Thank you for your help.

Hi Anastasia,
Try logging out of the site and logging back in again, and if that doesn't work you can try clearing cache. Usually one of those things solves the problem. The course is open until 16th June so if you registered in time you should be able to continue it,
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by hala96 on Wed, 05/11/2022 - 14:22

Why don't you just give us extra two days to finish the course as it's really helpful. I really need to finish it :(

Hi Hala96,
I am sorry that you haven't had time to finish the course and hope that you feel you've learnt a lot from what you could finish. We have to put an end date as you can imagine because of all the people involved in running it. Good luck with the remote teaching! Anne :) TeachingEnglish team

Since this course is now finished, keep your eye on the main course page for dates for other courses, and if they run this one again, the date will appear there,
Anne TeachingEnglish

Submitted by Modou on Mon, 05/16/2022 - 13:57

Hi! I have already completed the course on " Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching" and downloaded my certificate. My problem is there is a mistake on my full name. In fact my full name is Modou Yama Ndao, but in my certificate ,it is written Modou Ndao Modou Yama . How can I have this corrected . Pleas. Help!

Hi Modou,
Sorry to hear that and I am not quite sure what the next step is, I'm passing on the comment to the technical department to see if they can help us. I'll answer again here when I get an answer,
Best regards,
Anne,
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by elsitapalao on Mon, 05/16/2022 - 21:40

I have finished the course `SKILLS FOR REMOTE TEACHING`` but i cant see my certificate or download.I have finished the 4 modules.What happened?

Can you try logging out and back in to the site, and if that doesn't work, then clearing your cache? That usually solves any of those issues.
Thanks!
Anne TE team

Submitted by Modou on Tue, 05/17/2022 - 19:26

Hi ! I am writing to complain about a mistake on my certificate.
After completing the course on " Teaching Pathway : Skills on remote teaching, I received a certificate with a mistake on my name .
In fact my real name is Modou Yama NDAO , but on the certificate it is written Modou Ndao Modou Yama.
I would like to have this corrected . I need your help.

Hi Modou,
I checked about this and there are two things you can try. The first is to make your request through the help button on the site (you have to make the request yourself through there, I can't do that for you), the second is to edit your profile so that the name appears how you want it for future courses. The site generates the certificate automatically depending on the names in your profile, so maybe some of them need correction. It won't help this time, use the help button for that), but it will be correct the next time.
Good luck with getting the certificate in your proper name,
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Hi Shimonagy,

This course is now finished, keep your eye on the main course page for dates for a future 'run' of this course or other courses, and if they run this one again, the date will appear there. Glad you are interested - just now, we all need to be sharing ideas about online learning; it's not easy ;).
Anne

TeachingEnglish

Submitted by annele on Fri, 05/27/2022 - 21:40

Hi Ileana,

We don't have dates for the course yet, but we expect it will run again some time,  I'm glad you are interested!  The best thing is to keep your eye on the main page for courses https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/training, you'll find  information about any 'upcoming courses' there. The next course is https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/language-resilience-teaching-english-refugees-and-displaced-learners if you are interested.

Hope to see you on another 'run' of the remote course when it happens,

Anne

TeachingEnglish team

Hi Maimoona,

We don't have a confirmed start date for a new run of Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching. New dates will be published on the main page when they are programmed. You might be interested in the next course we are running, Teaching Pathways: online skills for 21st century teachers https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-online-skills-21st-century-teachers,

Anne

TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by NORAITCO on Sat, 07/02/2022 - 07:41

I want free course with certificate

Submitted by annele on Sat, 07/02/2022 - 19:51

In reply to by NORAITCO

You've probably seen already above but we don't have a confirmed start date for a new run of Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching. New dates will be published on the main page when they are programmed. You might be interested in the next course we are running, Teaching Pathways: online skills for 21st century teachers https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-online-skills-21st-century-teachers,

Anne