Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching

Learn and reflect on the skills you need to develop when you make the change from classroom to remote teaching.

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching'

In this practical five-week course, you will develop the skills you need for remote teaching and reflect on how they relate to your learners’ learning. You will learn about different approaches to remote teaching and consider what factors make the transition from the physical to online classroom successful.

You will explore:

• planning and adapting materials
  • managing learning for remote teaching
  • assessment and how it can impact on motivation
  • flipped, cooperative and game-based learning.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding remote teaching

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand common terminology used in remote teaching
  • identify useful approaches used by remote teachers, such as flipped learning and game-based learning
  • be encouraged to  reflect on your own teaching, how learners learn online and how you teach remotely
  • better help and safeguard your learners when learning remotely
  • help parents and caregivers to support remote learning at home.
Module 2: Planning and adapting materials

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• take a practical approach to planning the content you use and how to adapt it for remote teaching
  • understand how to develop writing skills online
  • plan a speaking lesson for the remote classroom
  • Make the most of receptive skills (listening, reading) in the remote classroom
  • use a range of techniques to overcome some of the common issues when teaching remotely
  • reduce barriers to access and engagement and make your materials more accessible
Module 3: Managing learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• reflect on classroom management and think about the skills you use when teaching face-to-face and how to transfer them to teach remotely
  • learn strategies to effectively manage and give feedback to learners online
  • make informed decisions about digital tools and resources to use to enhance your teaching
  • more effectively manage your own professional development and decide which areas of your teaching you want to improve
  • better monitor and improve your work–life balance.
Module 4: Assessing and motivating learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand different kinds of assessment and reflect on your own assessment methods.
  • explore remote assessment tasks for different linguistic skills.
  • understand how motivation impacts assessment.
  • become familiar with the use of digital portfolios
  • explore peer and self-assessment as part of assessment for learning and learning how to learn.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced later this year

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Comments

Hi Robert,

Please follow the instructions on the page under 'How do I sign up for the course?' Registration for the Pronunciation course is closed.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Ahmed,
The upgraded system has made it easier to start courses with us. Now from the start day (April 12th) you can log into your TeachingEnglish account, follow the instructions on the link below and find the course modules in your portfolio. You don't need to 'enrol' before - wait for the 12th. Hope you enjoy the course! Anne :) TeachingEnglish team https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-skills-rem…

Submitted by RASHIDAT AJOKE… on Tue, 03/29/2022 - 12:07

It will be a great assistance if mail can be forwarded as a reminder prior the starting date of this course.

Hi, if you have enrolled on the course you will get an email notification to remind you when the course starts.

Thanks

Paul

Submitted by Nazli.N on Thu, 03/31/2022 - 17:44

Hi ,I cannot enroll .Can you please explain because I have done all the steps but could not enroll.Thanks.

The course starts on April 12th, when you will be able to access the modules. You can follow the instructions on the main page to find the course in your personal portfolio then to start learning. Hope you enjoy the course!
Anne
Teaching English team

Submitted by Mille on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 00:40

Hi, I'm looking forward to start this course, yet I can't find the enrolment link. How can I do it? Thanks!

Hi Millie,
I've answered you below, hope that's clear now :). You'll find the course by following the instructions on the start date, April 12th. Hope you enjoy it!
Anne
Teaching English team

Submitted by Sekiss on Tue, 04/05/2022 - 06:17

hi, has enrollment begun yet? for I cant find the button to enroll.

Hi Sekiss,
The course starts on April 12th. There isn't an enrol button. You can follow the instructions on the main page to find the course in your personal portfolio then to start learning. Hope you enjoy the course!
Anne
Teaching English team

Submitted by Mille on Wed, 04/06/2022 - 03:15

Hi!
I'm highly interested on taking this course; however, I can't find the enrollment link. How can I do it? Thanks!

Hi Millie,
Anne
Teaching English team

Submitted by sanji2022 on Wed, 04/06/2022 - 04:54

Hi. I have registered and created the account. But I cannot find enroll button for this online course. I desperately want to participate in this course. Please give me a guideline on how to enroll in this course. Thanks in advance.

Hi Sanji2022,

As long as you are logged in with your TeachingEnglish account, you should be able to start the course by following the instructions on the page.

Log in to your TeachingEnglish account (top right Log in)

Click this link: https://open.teachingenglish.org.uk/Home/ExploreProgrammes

Click Enrol in activity under the course description for the Remote teaching skills course. If you have already enrolled in the course, go to the menu, My learning and select My courses to start the course.

Happy learning,

Kirsteen (the TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by islambaniabdallah on Thu, 04/07/2022 - 13:03

excuse me every body here is experincing the same difficulty we cant find the enroll in activity bottun where is it
i think there is a problem in the page

Hi and thanks for the question :)
You're right lots of people are asking about the 'enrol' button - it's not there because with the upgrade the system has changed. Now when the course start dates comes, you can log into your TeachingEnglish account and you will able to access the course on your portfolio automatically, making it easier to start. Follow the instructions on the course page from the 12th. Hope you enjoy the course! :) Anne

طالما قمت بتسجيل الدخول إلى حساب TeachingEnglish الخاص بك (أعلى يمين هذه الصفحة) ، يجب أن تكون قادرًا على التسجيل في الدورة باتباع الإرشادات الموجودة على الصفحة. تسجيل الدخول إلى حسابك

انقر “Enrol in activity”

Hi Sayma,

Are you access from a laptop, desktop or mobile device?
Can you tell us which step number under the instructions for "How do I access the course after the start date?" do you have a problem and what is the issue?

Submitted by Su Sandy Htay on Wed, 04/13/2022 - 07:54

Hello,
I can't find the course: Skills for Remote teaching even though I click my learning or my course. Can someone help me, please?

Su Sandy Htay, I can confirm you are enrolled in the course. Can you describe what happens when you log in and from the menu, select My portfolio and select My courses?

Do you see a Home page option? Can you see "Your week ahead" or "Your learning" from this home page?

If you click "Your learning", you should see the course Teaching pathways: skills for remote teaching and a Start course button.

From "Your week ahead" you can start the first three units.

If you still have a problem, please use the Help button to get help from the technical team.

Submitted by Yemibenj on Wed, 04/13/2022 - 09:14

I am writing to complain about an error in the repetition of Units 1, 2 and 3 of the Introduction to Teaching Pathways: Skills for remote teaching.

I started taking the course today and I noticed that Units 1, 2 and 3 appeared twice. This made it very difficult to take the same units twice.

I'll be glad if this is rectified so that other learners won't experience this problem. Kindly find attached my claim.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards
Oyeyemi Benjamin Adegbola

I am so sorry you have had this problem with duplicate units. We will look into your case as soon as possible.

Can I just check if you are perhaps looking at Unit 2 - Understanding remote teaching which has three parts.

Unit 2 - Understanding remote teaching part 1
 Unit 2 - Understanding remote teaching part 2
 Unit 2 - Understanding remote teaching part 3

These are all three different parts of the unit. They are cut into parts to help them open quickly eventhough they have a lot of video.

If you do see the same unit such as Unit 1 - navigation twice, in future modules, do not repeat the units but use the Help button on the course page to report this again.

Submitted by Rafa Carraca on Thu, 04/14/2022 - 15:18

Hi! Will the certificate at the end of the course include the number of hours? Thank you!

Submitted by Monica Frunzaru on Fri, 04/15/2022 - 14:43

I can't access the platform. I accessed it and did some activities a few days ago, but since yesterday I haven't been able to do any activities. I am logged on the platform, the interface is different, I don't find the same buttons.

Submitted by Maryam Givand on Sat, 04/16/2022 - 07:09

Hi there. I can't access my programs or my learning section. whatever I do it goes directly to my profile page. I had registered for this course but now it's not possible to access it. Would you please tell me what can I do?.

Submitted by Maha4Learning on Sun, 04/17/2022 - 16:05

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for help or not.
I accessed the course and the platform and completed several activities yesterday. When I tried to continue today it allowed me to do one activity but at the end it looked like it wasn't saved and I had to repeat it. Once I completed it for the second time, I tried to move to the next section but now I cannot get to any of the modules. I'm logged in, but there is no "My learning" menu, instead there is a "My Portfolio" menu and when I click on "My courses" it just gives me my account information page.
Any idea what's happening or what I'm missing please? Thank you.

Monica, Maryam and Maha4Learning,

I am sorry you are having trouble accessing your course via the Menu, My portfolio, My courses. Access is working for other users. Can you close any TeachingEnglish tabs you have open. Log in with your TeachingEnglish account and then try using this link or copy and paste this link in a new tab?

This works for me. I hope it works for you.

Kirsteen (the Teacher Development Team)

Hi Maha

Apologies for the slow reply.  Please try the following:

1. Clear your browser’s cache (or use its ‘private mode)
  2. Login here: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/user/login
  3. Go to: https://open.teachingenglish.org.uk/Home/MyProgrammes
  4. Follow the steps in this video(from 0:44) to access the online modules.

Does that help?

Submitted by Salahomar79 on Tue, 04/19/2022 - 23:01

Hi there! Have I missed the start date for this course?
Best, Salah

Submitted by ChrisT on Wed, 04/20/2022 - 07:39

Hi Salah

The course has started, but you can access all the learning content and work on it at times that are good for you (and there's lots of time for you to catch up).  New participants can join the course until Monday, 9 May 2022 - hope to see you on it very soon!

Chris

Submitted by ellli on Wed, 04/20/2022 - 08:45

Hello. Would you please tell me how I can get access to the resources and glossary? I am sure I have seen it somewhere but I can't find that part anymore.

Hi Ale,

Can you tell us what step you are on above? Log in with your TeachingEnglish account and then try using this link or copy and paste this link in a new tab?
https://open.teachingenglish.org.uk/Home/ Here you can see courses you are enrolled in under "My learning" and you can see new courses to enrol in under "Explore courses". When on the page to explore courses you will see an image, course title and dates and a button to "Enrol in activity".

I hope that helps, if not, please use the Tutoriols or HELP button for more technical support.

Kirsteen