Teaching pathways: How to teach speaking

Our online training course 'Teaching pathways - How to teach speaking' helps you learn how to design speaking tasks and improve the speaking skills of your students.

Two young adults - male and female - talking and smiling in an outdoor cafe

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: how to teach speaking'

In this practical 4-week course, you will develop your understanding of speaking skills and explore teaching techniques and activities which promote oral communication in the classroom for a range of ages and levels.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding speaking – key terms and issues

The aim of this module is to explore key terms and issues in the teaching of speaking. The module also looks at how to evaluate and modify activities in terms of communicative quality.

By the end of this module, you'll be able to recognise issues related to accuracy and fluency in speaking practice.

Module 2 - Understanding speaking – maximising interaction

The aim of this module is to introduce a range of techniques and activities which promote oral communication in the classroom. The module looks at the benefits of pair and group work and adapting tasks to maximise student interaction. You are also given the opportunity to prepare and deliver speaking activities to their peers.

Module 3 - Understanding language practice activities

The aim of this module is to explore and evaluate a range of language practice activities. The module covers adapting activities for different ages and levels. You are then given the opportunity to select appropriate activities which correspond to lesson aims and to justify your choices.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced.

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

How do I access the course after I have enrolled?

On a desktop or laptop computer
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. If you have enrolled in the course, you will see 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the menu bar at the top of the page next to the Home button.
  3. Move your mouse over MY PORTFOLIO to see the drop-down menu.
  4. Click on ‘My courses’ to access your training.
On a mobile device
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. Tap the three horizontal lines next to the home button to open the menu.
  3. Below ‘Home’, you will see MY PORTFOLIO and ‘My courses’ below. Tap on MY PORTFOLIO if you don’t see ‘My courses’.
  4. Tap on ‘My courses’ to access your training.

Comments

Submitted by Htun Win Lin on Sun, 03/06/2022 - 14:23

I believe the training course date has not started yet. Am I correct?
Please kindly let us know when the course will start and how to register.
Thank you in advance.

Hello Htun Win Lin

This course is now closed for registration, but we expect to run it again later in 2022. Please check back here to see when and how you can enrol.

Thanks,

Cath

Submitted by sdpcat on Mon, 03/07/2022 - 18:51

Dear all, I have tied, but seems not have a button to click on and access the course whereas the ones one pays it works.

Hello

This course has now finished and is no longer available for registration. It will be offered again later in 2022.

Thanks,

Cath

Submitted by Anna Kushkina on Wed, 03/23/2022 - 13:02

Hello.
Unfortunately, I can't enroll because the course How to teach speaking is still unavailable and the web-page of My courses is not opened, just blank page. Also I can't subscribe to newsletter, the same blank page.Help me, please, to solve these problems.

Hi Anna

We have just updated the website and we are having some issues with different parts of the website. We hope to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Paul

TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by Teacher Mae on Fri, 04/01/2022 - 06:51

In reply to by Paul Braddock

The course is ending, and I haven't completed because I can't open "my course" for several time.

Submitted by annele on Thu, 04/07/2022 - 08:20

In reply to by Teacher Mae

I am so sorry to hear that the technical difficulties prevented you from opening the course to complete it. I hope that doesn't happen again for you.
Best regards,
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by thepam on Wed, 03/23/2022 - 20:37

May training is taking ages because I can't access that. It's error all the time. =/

There were technical difficulties as we changed systems, I am sorry to hear that it slowed down your progress, hope that you managed to complete it and found it interesting.
Regards,
TeachingEnglish team

I hope you have found this now - it may have been linked to some technical problems caused by an upgrade to the site. It should be fine now.
TeachingEnglish team

Hi Nilufar,
I am sorry to hear you had technical problems, I hope that they reappeared for you so you could complete.
best regards,
TeachingEnglish team

Hi Omar,
We don't have a confirmed start date for a new run of Teaching pathways: How to teach Speaking. New dates will be published on the main page when they are programmed. The next course we are running is Teaching Pathways: Skills for Remote Teaching, starting on 12th April. https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-skills-rem…

Submitted by Roseanne on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 11:10

Hello, I've been looking for to be a certified teacher and i think I'm on the right way. When will this course start? please inform me.

Hi Roseanne,

We don't have a start date confirmed for this course yet, we'll publicise it on the Teaching English page when we do. The next course we are running is Skills for Remote Teaching from April 12th.
Teaching English team

Hi Habibur,

I am sorry you have had some problems with the course. If you are looking for the  Teaching pathways: How to teach Speaking course, we are afraid it is now closed. But the next course we are running is Teaching Pathways: Skills for Remote Teaching and it started yesterday.

• Click this link Explore courses
  • Click Enrol in activity on this course
  • Go to the menu My learning>My courses and start the course.

Good luck!

Kirsteen (the TeachingEnglish team)

ECE the How to teach speaking course is not currently running/open for enrolment.

Courses you can enrol on right now (April 22') are:

New courses are added regularly, so keep checking back!

Hope that help, Chris

Submitted by Esther Prieto … on Sun, 05/01/2022 - 21:23

I'm interested in this course because I think it will help me in my English teaching process. Besides I want to know when will it be available?

Hi Esther,
We don't have a confirmed start date for a new run of Teaching pathways: How to teach Speaking. New dates will be published on the main page when they are programmed. The course we are currently running is Teaching Pathways: Skills for Remote Teaching, you can still register until 9th May if you are interested. https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-skills-rem
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by Neyerdy on Tue, 05/03/2022 - 08:45

I've completed 2 modules (80%) and only 1 module is not finished, but I cannot open the links of this page. What do I do wrong?

Hi Neyerdy,
Sorry to hear you couldn't access the other module. Usually that's a temporary problem, try logging out and back in again, clearing your cache etc. Hope you can get back to it.
TEnglish team

Hello
This course is now finished and closed for registration. It may be offered again later in 2022, so please check back.
Thanks,

Submitted by Zaw Linn Naing on Sat, 05/14/2022 - 18:32

I have created an account and logged in, but I cannot enroll this course. I have not found access icon.

Submitted by annele on Sun, 05/15/2022 - 20:12

In reply to by Zaw Linn Naing

Hi Zaw Linn Naing
Thanks,

Submitted by cuctran on Mon, 05/16/2022 - 01:23

Though I have created an account, logged in and then logged out so that I would have seen 'My portfolio" icon, I can't see this icon or any others likely to enrol the course. Please help me to get enrolled. Thank you so much.

Hi Cuctran,
The course isn't running at the moment. Keep your eyes on the teaching English courses page, if there is a new run of it dates will be published there. the problem about not seeing your icon fro Portfolio is usually solved by logging out then back in, or clearing your cache.
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by annele on Wed, 05/18/2022 - 22:31

Hi Neftali,
TeachingEnglish team

Hi ifeloju alakija,

Information about any new courses is published on the main course page, so just like the speaking one you asked about, dates for the pronunciation course would be published there.

TeachingEnglish team

Hi Kamla,

The team here are planning the schedule for our MOOCs so we don't have a definite date yet for 'How to teach speaking', please check back on the main page every now and then for news of upcoming course dates. Hoping that they bring it out soon too :).

To answer your question about face to face courses in London, you'll be able to get information from our colleagues in British Council, UK at the direct email https://www.britishcouncil.org/contact. We don't run course, we are the 'accrediting body' for courses run in institutions across the whole of the UK. If that email for any reason doesn't respond quickly, get back to me here :).

Best regards,

TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by cuctran on Tue, 05/24/2022 - 17:23

Hello Team!

I am so interested in the courses by British Council. I would like to enrol for the course. Although I have created the account and logged in also, I can't see any tab for the enrollment of the course "How to teach speaking". I can see My Portfolio: My course on the menu, but I am unble to see how to enrol for the course. Thank you so much.

Hi Cuctran,

Glad you are interested in our 'How to teach speaking' course - it will be available later in 2022, we don't have a date yet, but it will be published on the course page when it is set, keep checking in now and then :).

Regards from the TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by AamirKhan64 on Wed, 05/25/2022 - 08:10

As Refugee teacher this course is very important to learn more about English and I am so excited to learn this course.