Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching

Learn and reflect on the skills you need to develop when you make the change from classroom to remote teaching.

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching'

In this practical five-week course, you will develop the skills you need for remote teaching and reflect on how they relate to your learners’ learning. You will learn about different approaches to remote teaching and consider what factors make the transition from the physical to online classroom successful.

You will explore:

• planning and adapting materials
  • managing learning for remote teaching
  • assessment and how it can impact on motivation
  • flipped, cooperative and game-based learning.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding remote teaching

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand common terminology used in remote teaching
  • identify useful approaches used by remote teachers, such as flipped learning and game-based learning
  • be encouraged to  reflect on your own teaching, how learners learn online and how you teach remotely
  • better help and safeguard your learners when learning remotely
  • help parents and caregivers to support remote learning at home.
Module 2: Planning and adapting materials

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• take a practical approach to planning the content you use and how to adapt it for remote teaching
  • understand how to develop writing skills online
  • plan a speaking lesson for the remote classroom
  • Make the most of receptive skills (listening, reading) in the remote classroom
  • use a range of techniques to overcome some of the common issues when teaching remotely
  • reduce barriers to access and engagement and make your materials more accessible
Module 3: Managing learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• reflect on classroom management and think about the skills you use when teaching face-to-face and how to transfer them to teach remotely
  • learn strategies to effectively manage and give feedback to learners online
  • make informed decisions about digital tools and resources to use to enhance your teaching
  • more effectively manage your own professional development and decide which areas of your teaching you want to improve
  • better monitor and improve your work–life balance.
Module 4: Assessing and motivating learning

By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:

• understand different kinds of assessment and reflect on your own assessment methods.
  • explore remote assessment tasks for different linguistic skills.
  • understand how motivation impacts assessment.
  • become familiar with the use of digital portfolios
  • explore peer and self-assessment as part of assessment for learning and learning how to learn.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced later this year

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Comments

Hi, once you are on the course platform (MY PORTFOLIO > My courses), go to 'My awards' in the menu. Your certificate should be there - as long as you have completed 100% of the online activities with a minimum score of 70%.
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by ALMUDENA SANTOS on Tue, 05/17/2022 - 13:05

In reply to by annele

Good afternoon,
After finishing this Course ( 'Skills for remote teaching´) with 100% scored, I did not find my certificate on " My awards" area. However, there is a certificate which was sent before I began the course and was edited with the wrong date. I´ve already written to " Help" team and I hope they can help me to solve it. Thanks

Hi Almudena,
Hopefully the 'Help' team will be able to sort this out for you, and well done for finishing the course!!
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Hello Santos,

I have the same issue. After finishing the course, How to teach pronunciation, I got its certificate alongside that of the present course, Skills for remote teaching, which I hadn't taken at the material time. Yes, the date is messed up too.
I hope the correction would be done soon.

Hi OpeJoe,

I am sorry to hear that there have been problems with the certificate for the course, please report the problem through the Help button if it doesn't correct automatically. I don't have access to any students data but they will be able to help. Well done for finishing the course!

Anne

TeachingEnglish team

Hi Manal,
Sorry to tell you that the course is finished for the moment. If a new run of the course happens you'll see dates on our main pages.
Anne TeachingEnglish team

Hi Betita,
Glad to hear that our courses will be useful for you! We don't have a start date for this course yet, you can keep your eye on all our upcoming courses on the main course page.
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

As long as you are logged in to your account, you should be able to enrol on the course by following the instructions on the page.

Log in to your TeachingEnglish account

Go to the Menu My portfolio and select My courses.

Select My courses or Explore all courses to start the course Teaching Pathways: Skills for Remote Teaching.

Happy learning!

Kirsteen

Submitted by Kholomelo on Sat, 03/12/2022 - 13:18

Hi how can i start training i have completed the course units and i don't know how to start training

Hello
I took three courses on this platform and it has been very interesting, but now it being impossible to make the enrollment. It is known that we are getting closer to the starting date, so what is going to be done so as to make people who are interested in taking the course as I am make the enrollment or take the course? Thank you in advance.

Submitted by Ahmed El-Azaly on Thu, 04/07/2022 - 20:42

In reply to by Paul Braddock

I have followed all the instructions to register but it seems that the button "enrol" is not shown yet!
Hope this problem will be fixed soon.

Submitted by annele on Thu, 04/07/2022 - 08:13

In reply to by Cintia F.

As long as you are logged in to your account, you should be able to start the course after the start date (not before) by following the instructions on the page. Log in to TeachingEnglish, find 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the top menu bar. From there, you should see 'My courses'. Click on 'My courses' and you will be taken to the course where you can view and complete the modules.
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

The course starts on April 12th, when you will be able to access the modules. You can follow the instructions on the main page to find the course in your personal portfolio then to start learning. You won't see the modules before that. Hope you enjoy the course!
Anne
Teaching English team

Hi nrailao,
The course is open until 16th May. Try clearing your logging out and logging back in again, and if that doesn't work, clearing cache. I hope you can get back in and finish your course.
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by E_Manzano on Fri, 03/18/2022 - 21:20

Amazing content! trains teacher pronunciation in great lengths! Thank you

Hello,

We are currently experiencing some issues on the website due to a recent upgrade. If you are trying to register on one of our online courses, access to the course platform is currently unavailable.

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by Shahieda Isaacs on Tue, 03/22/2022 - 19:53

I'm so excited to begin this new course. The previous one I did, "How to teach pronunciation", has taught me so much already! I only wish I had found this website sooner.

Thank you so much.

Submitted by Rubens_xingui34 on Wed, 03/23/2022 - 09:47

I cannot get an access to the link of enrollment. What can I do?

Submitted by Paul Braddock on Wed, 03/23/2022 - 16:50

In reply to by Rubens_xingui34

We are having some technical difficulties at the moment. We hope to open enrolment soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Eman,
The course starts on April 12th, when you will be able to access the modules. You can follow the instructions on the main page to find the course in your personal portfolio then to start learning. Hope you enjoy the course!
Anne
Teaching English team

Submitted by Kirsteen_Admin on Fri, 04/15/2022 - 10:15

In reply to by Hachimou Nakab…

Yes I can confirm you are enrolled in the course. Log into TeachingEnglish and from the Menu (three bars on a mobile) select My portfolio and Click My courses then when a new page opens from the Home page you should see My week with the first three units due or you can click My learning and the course Remote teaching skills should be there with a start button. If the course is not visible to you, click the Help button on that page. You'll get an automated email and you can send a screenshot to the technical team.

Submitted by Robert kenfack on Thu, 03/24/2022 - 07:02

How do I sign up for Teaching pathways: Skills for remote teaching'?

I would like to also enroll on the course on pronunciation, but I don't know how to proceed.

Sign up to our newsletter for teaching ideas and free resources