Teaching pathways: How to teach speaking

Our online training course 'Teaching pathways - How to teach speaking' helps you learn how to design speaking tasks and improve the speaking skills of your students.

Two young adults - male and female - talking and smiling in an outdoor cafe

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: how to teach speaking'

In this practical 4-week course, you will develop your understanding of speaking skills and explore teaching techniques and activities which promote oral communication in the classroom for a range of ages and levels.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding speaking – key terms and issues

The aim of this module is to explore key terms and issues in the teaching of speaking. The module also looks at how to evaluate and modify activities in terms of communicative quality.

By the end of this module, you'll be able to recognise issues related to accuracy and fluency in speaking practice.

Module 2 - Understanding speaking – maximising interaction

The aim of this module is to introduce a range of techniques and activities which promote oral communication in the classroom. The module looks at the benefits of pair and group work and adapting tasks to maximise student interaction. You are also given the opportunity to prepare and deliver speaking activities to their peers.

Module 3 - Understanding language practice activities

The aim of this module is to explore and evaluate a range of language practice activities. The module covers adapting activities for different ages and levels. You are then given the opportunity to select appropriate activities which correspond to lesson aims and to justify your choices.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced.

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

How do I access the course after I have enrolled?

On a desktop or laptop computer
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. If you have enrolled in the course, you will see 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the menu bar at the top of the page next to the Home button.
  3. Move your mouse over MY PORTFOLIO to see the drop-down menu.
  4. Click on ‘My courses’ to access your training.
On a mobile device
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. Tap the three horizontal lines next to the home button to open the menu.
  3. Below ‘Home’, you will see MY PORTFOLIO and ‘My courses’ below. Tap on MY PORTFOLIO if you don’t see ‘My courses’.
  4. Tap on ‘My courses’ to access your training.

Comments

Submitted by CJOSEPH on Wed, 01/05/2022 - 13:15

Hello, I have created an account and am logged in, however I can't seem to find where to actually enrol for the course. Thanks for your help. Regards

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Thu, 01/06/2022 - 09:24

In reply to by CJOSEPH

Hello,

If you are still have problems, please can you report them using the orange "Help" button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen?

Hope that helps!

Submitted by garysim727 on Wed, 01/05/2022 - 14:02

I am registered but unable to sign up for this free course

Please help me. Thank you.

Hello,

Hope that helps!

Hello Malol

You need to follow steps 1-6 above. First, you need to create an account, clicking on the link in step 1. If you have created your account, go to the courses homepage, then click on the Home tab in the top left hand corner. You can then see two tabs "Your week ahead", "Your learning" and, to the right, a green tab "Explore all courses". If you click there, you should see all the available courses- Then you can click on "Enrol in activity".

Hope that helps!

Submitted by Paula Lima on Wed, 01/05/2022 - 23:31

Hi!

I'd like to get some more details about the course schedule: the days and the time in which it is going to take place.

Thank you!

Hi Paula

This course is self-access, which means once you have enrolled you can complete the course in your own time - there is no schedule as such. The course material will only be available for four weeks though, so you will need to complete the content within that time.  You can enrol and start the course up until January 31st.

Hope that helps, and enjoy the course!

Submitted by RosieMahmood on Thu, 01/06/2022 - 09:52

Hello,

I am a member and does not allow me to enroll, I followed the instructions but there is not such a place to take you to enroll on your free course.

Thanks in advance,

Rosie

Hello Rosie,

If you have created your account, go to the courses homepage,  (click on the tab "My Portfolio" and then "My courses"), then click on the Home tab in the top left hand corner. You can then see two tabs "Your week ahead", "Your learning" and, to the right, a green tab "Explore all courses". If you click there, you should see all the available courses. Then you can click on "Enrol in activity".

Hope that helps!

Submitted by Amadu Lamarana Bah on Thu, 01/06/2022 - 16:59

Iam Amadu Lamarana Bah Guinean by nationality also member of the British Council course

Today my aim is obtain, to get a standard certificate from the British Council

Submitted by PennyYsceifiog on Thu, 01/06/2022 - 17:18

I have enrolled on the course and I am looking forward to starting. I am hoping many of the activities will be suitable or adaptable for the online classroom, as this is how I deliver most of my lessons.

Hi GLF5,

Hope that helps!

Submitted by milton.pereira on Fri, 01/07/2022 - 02:53

Hello there!
I'm having hard time to enroll. I've followed the recconmmended steps but nothing so far. By any chance, can you help me?

Submitted by susangeorgevilloth on Fri, 01/07/2022 - 04:29

Hello, I've followed all steps to create an account, click on home button, select course, but after that can't find where to enrol for the course. Is this because the course is scheduled to start on 11 January? Would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Hello,

If you are logged in and on the courses homepage, you need to click on the green tab on the right hand side "Explore all courses" - you should be able to see all available courses there - including this one. You should be able to click on "Enrol in activity". If you are still having problems, please contact technical support by using the orange "Help" button in the bottom right corner of the course page.

Thanks,

Submitted by mariaelena.castorino on Fri, 01/07/2022 - 07:14

Hi, I followed all the steps indicated to enrol this course, infortunately with no success. Could you please tell me why? Was there a deadline I don't know? Let me know, thanx advance

Hello

Can you access the courses homepage? (click on the tab "My Portfolio" and then "My courses"). If so, then you need to click on the Home tab in the top left hand corner. You can then see two tabs "Your week ahead", "Your learning" and, to the right, a green tab "Explore all courses". If you click there, you should see all the available courses. Then you can click on "Enrol in activity".

If you are still have problems,  please can you report them using the orange "Help" button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen?

Hope that helps!

Hi Andrea,

To enrol on the course, you need to follow the 6 steps above.

Hope that helps!

Hi Magdalena

To enrol on the course, you need to follow the 6 steps above.

Hope that helps!

Hello

The course will be available from 11th January, but, as this is a self-access course, there is no fixed time.  You will be able to access the content whenever you like from that date.

Hope you enjoy the course,

Submitted by Benadette on Sat, 01/08/2022 - 15:52

I am excited to follow these course with the British council. I believe they are standard courses. Will like to be part of it.thank you

Submitted by Dhammika Godha… on Sat, 01/08/2022 - 16:57

Teaching speaking is one of the most challenging yet one of the most needed area for an English Language teacher. Thanks for offering this course free of charge.

Submitted by Jokkome on Sun, 01/09/2022 - 08:11

Hello everyone,

I'm John from Ivory Coast. Happy to be here.

Submitted by David Abayatey… on Mon, 01/10/2022 - 02:14

David Abayateye Lomotey is my name . I am highly honoured to be part of this class.

Hello Aya Aljaly

You need to follow steps 1-6 above. Make sure first you create an account and are logged in, then you need to access the course page by clicking  on "My Portfolio" in the top left of your menu. If you then go to the home page, you will see a tab on the top right "Explore all courses" - you will see all available courses there, and you can click on "Enrol in activity" for the courses you are interested in.

Thanks,

Hi Rebeca

Are you logged into your account? If so, if you click on the link in step 3 it will take you to the "Explore courses" page - I've just checked and it is working fine. Alternatively, if you click on "My Portfolio" on the top left of your menu, you can also access the courses page. Click on "home" and then you will see an "Explore all courses" tab - from there you can see all available courses. Make sure you are logged in. If you still can't access the page, perhaps try with a different web browser.

Hope that helps

Hi Luba

The course begins on 11 January 2022 and lasts for four weeks. You can enrol any time up until 31 January 2022. Remember this is a self-access course, so you can complete the activities at a time that is convenient for you.
Thanks

Submitted by arthur on Tue, 01/11/2022 - 08:36

Hi all.

I cannot find an enrolment button available on the website. Is there another way of registering? I would really like to attend it.

Best,

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Tue, 01/11/2022 - 09:33

In reply to by arthur

Hi

Please follow the 6 steps above to enrol in the course. You need to create an account and then make sure you are logged in.  Then go to the courses homepage,  (click on the tab "My Portfolio" and then "My courses"), then click on the Home tab in the top left hand corner. You can then see two tabs "Your week ahead", "Your learning" and, to the right, a green tab "Explore all courses". If you click there, you should see all the available courses. Then you can click on "Enrol in activity".

Hope that helps!

Hi Dilfuza,

Hope that helps!

Submitted by sulabha sidhaye on Tue, 01/11/2022 - 09:04

I would like to crosscheck the start time of the course

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Tue, 01/11/2022 - 09:35

In reply to by sulabha sidhaye

Hi sulabha