Gender in language education

Find out more about our free course 'Gender in language education'.

Welcome to 'Gender in language education'

In this practical four-week course, you will learn to recognise the different kinds of gender bias and stereotypes which exist in language education, some of the barriers people face in terms of gender equality and equity, and how these can be overcome.

How do I sign up for the course?

This course is not currently available. It will be available in 2023.

About the course

Module 1: Gender representation in teaching materials

This module will introduce you to the different kinds of gender bias and stereotypes which exist in language education. It's aimed at providing you with a general introduction to and understanding of the topic as well as helping you to recognise and evaluate these issues so that you can respond to them effectively in the classroom.

Module 2: Gender equality in teaching practice

This module will introduce you to ways we often perceive gender differences in the classroom. It's aimed at breaking down common assumptions about the differences between gender in education, so that you can help all of your students achieve success.

Module 3: Working with gender equality in education

This module will introduce you to some of the progress that has been made, as well as some of the barriers people face in terms of gender equality and equity, and how these can be overcome and worked with on an individual as well as a global scale.

Start dates and duration

The next course dates will be announced later this year. It will run in 2023.

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Comments

Submitted by Xavier SHOMARI on Wed, 12/01/2021 - 19:36

I am very happy to be part of the trainees. I hope will gain more and improve my understanding of gender perceptions and why it is to be taken into consideration while planning and elaborating news policies and teaching tools.

Submitted by Adeola Ahmed Bello on Thu, 12/02/2021 - 07:46

This is an avenue to upgrade my knowledge to impart the same to others and make society better for everyone.

Submitted by VirginiaSalgad… on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 09:11

I am very pleased to have the oportunity to learn more. Gender is sucha an important task and this is a very original way to think about it.

Submitted by Insa El Bachir… on Sat, 12/04/2021 - 07:49

Hi.

Glad to participate with the trainees. Thanks to this given opportunity to upgrade our knowledge.

From Senegal west africa where people are afraid to deal with gender issues!

Submitted by Tebogo Gabana on Tue, 12/07/2021 - 03:36

Thank you very much. I'm happy to be part of the group

Hi Sylla

If you are having technical problems with the course page not registering your progress, you can press the "help" button at the bottom right of the course page to report your problem.

Hope that helps,

Cath

Submitted by Samamo-Clarkso… on Tue, 12/07/2021 - 08:16

I am truly grateful for this opportunity to be a part of the trainees. This will accord me the opportunity to gain new knowledge on Gender bias and stereotypes.

Submitted by Timatafa on Tue, 12/07/2021 - 15:22

I am elated to have come across this course. Looking forward to learning that which will improve my teaching.

Submitted by Abdalmonem22 on Tue, 12/07/2021 - 21:07

Really, I'm so happy to be involved in this programme and I'll do my best to be an active participant and get much benefit and share positively to make the difference

Submitted by Rosana Fernandes on Wed, 12/08/2021 - 01:06

I'm so happy and proud to see this theme of democratic education. It's amazing!

I'm so anxious to start! =D

Submitted by Halla Abdulsayed on Wed, 12/08/2021 - 13:09

New knowledge with new access to promote my developing skills in teaching the language provided by The British Council. Can't wait to start this new journey.

Submitted by Anthony Amotoe… on Wed, 12/08/2021 - 13:59

I take a very opportunity to learn to relearn and unlearn certain ideologies that can make me a better person while contributing my quota to the community and the individuals in my country (Ghana) at large. Oh yes, It is indeed an opportunity to explore a new discipline for growth and impart. I can't wait to collaborate with open-minded persons in this course. Once again, like I always say, let's grow together while we learn gender in language education!!

Submitted by PrincessAdewoyin on Wed, 12/08/2021 - 15:27

I'm more than excited being the Director of a school and the National Coordinator of Human Rights commission,. I believe that human rights and gender equality should be part of academic curriculum to be taught in schools right from cradle to adulthood.

This is what we're doing at English Development Centre and I'm glad I'll be trained for it under the British Council platform

Submitted by Jeramirezga on Thu, 12/09/2021 - 14:46

Hello everybody. I wanna share my ideas about this topic and know other ideas around the world. Thanks, a hug.

Submitted by Giltohon on Thu, 12/09/2021 - 17:33

I'm glad to be among the trainees for learning more. It's an opportunity and a challenge.
Thank you so much.

Submitted by Sadjá Manafá on Fri, 12/10/2021 - 10:32

First of all, I would like to join this huge opportunity that will change something in my teaching life. To tell you that knowledge is never enough. Life is always learning.

Submitted by joel.fernandez001 on Fri, 12/10/2021 - 11:22

Hello, everyone! I am so excited about this course because Gender and Development is very close to my heart. Being a teacher plus a proud member of the LGBTQIA+ community, it is very essential to have topics like these, being a catalyst for gender equality most especially in the field of education. I always believe that gender preference must not be a hindrance to reach for your dreams and through this course, I hope that gender stereotypes will be lessened and eventually erased.

Submitted by Adama Johnson on Fri, 12/10/2021 - 14:23

Uh yeah, I'm not only happy about this opportunity. I'm certainly inviting an NYSC Community Development Service group in Oshodi NYSC to join the course. Their focus is on Gender and Gender-based violence.

Submitted by Mamadou Barry on Sat, 12/11/2021 - 11:52

I am very delighted to be part of this community

Submitted by Abdourahamane Diallo on Sat, 12/11/2021 - 17:18

I'm very happy to be among you. Thanks for this opportunity.

Submitted by englishteachermarina on Sun, 12/12/2021 - 01:44

Hello from Spain, I am very glad to have the opportunity to enroll this course.

Submitted by Folagems on Mon, 12/13/2021 - 03:25

I look forward to learning and sharing impactful insights on this platform and network.

Folakemi Oloto

Submitted by José Pires KAPANGO on Mon, 12/13/2021 - 06:54

Thanks a bunch for accepting my request. I'm so delighted to be a member of this wonderful group.