Born, bread and buttered in London

This lesson plan for teachers of teenagers and adults at Intermediate level and above explores the theme of London. Students will develop their knowledge of London and practise their listening skills.

Introduction

In this lesson students hear a man being interviewed about his life in London. He talks about the different parts of London he has lived in and how things have changed in these areas. The tasks focus students on learning more about London from Google Maps and images and the listening tasks focus them on reading between the lines of what the man says and understanding inferred meaning. Lastly, the lesson finishes with an optional grammar focus with a speaking activity based around ‘used to’ and ‘didn’t use to’.

Topic

London

Level

CEFR B1 Intermediate

Time

60 minutes +

Aims:

• to develop students abilities to understand inferred meaning
  • to develop students' listening skills
  • to develop students' ability to use ‘used to’ to talk about past habits and states

Materials

The lesson plan is available to download in pdf format. The audio is available to listen to on this page.

Language Level

Comments

Submitted by ramjam on Tue, 04/12/2011 - 10:34

I can't see any image. What is the picture in the document?

Submitted by Paul Braddock on Fri, 06/08/2012 - 13:36

In reply to by ramjam

Hi

You should now be able to view the image when you download the lesson plan. Please let me know if you still can't.

Paul

Submitted by JohnSelf on Wed, 06/06/2012 - 14:31

Am I mistaken or do we need to BUY premium Apple Quicktime to get the audio? If so shame on the people responsible. Really, is profit what matters in this picture?

Submitted by pyroz on Tue, 07/10/2012 - 08:11

Your lesson plans and ideas are wonderful. I love this website. I have recommended it to many of my friends!

Submitted by vunhuthuytrang on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 00:39

Thank you very much for this very useful and detailed lesson plan :)

Submitted by daVinci on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 00:54

I couldn't download the audio file.

It says: "the source isn't available

please help me out

thanks

I couldn't either. I can play the audio, but can't see any links to download it.

Even when clicking on the MP3 file, it just takes me straight to VLC player. Does it require any specific music player??

Submitted by dinayha on Mon, 11/19/2012 - 22:34

call me stupid :)

I just did manage to download it. Thank you very much.

The resources on this website are priceless !

Submitted by juliemiz on Thu, 03/21/2013 - 10:18

In reply to by dinayha

I can't download the audio, there doesn't seem to be any option allowing me to do it...any help appreciated! Thanks

Submitted by Paul Braddock on Mon, 04/01/2013 - 11:20

In reply to by juliemiz

Hi Juliemiz

Apologies for not replying before - we've had some problems with the site recently. If you right click the audio, you should have the option to 'save as...' If you do this, it should download the audio for you to use.

Thanks Paul

Submitted by sazwalshyfox on Sun, 03/08/2015 - 18:00

This works, except for the map. I find it impossible to get Tuffnell Park, Islington and Kings Cross on the same google map page (unless I zoom out so far that all detail is lost, including names of the tube/railway stations). I don't know how you do it, except for the fact that the original lesson was done in 2010 so maybe it's the technology of google maps that's changed. It would been a great lesson if not for that part. Without the map aspect and visuals it's a bit dry, so I won't be trying it with a class.

Submitted by mhiel on Mon, 06/29/2015 - 03:53

Hey, Good Day! You have written a great article. I am happy to drop by and gain more information about this article.

Submitted by Imy.imy on Tue, 05/29/2018 - 12:33

Hello everyone. I have a question.. Was there supposed to be a worksheet involved in this lesson or just the lesson plan and Recording. Because the note suggests that the worksheet and plan are in PDF form and are downloadable.

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Tue, 05/29/2018 - 13:38

In reply to by Imy.imy

Hi Thanks for your comment - there isn't actually a worksheet for this lesson, as the tasks suggested in the lesson plan are mainly based around the audio file. You can download the lesson plan with the instructions and the audio file above. Thanks, Cath TE Team