They donated their award to finance a scholarship to the IATEFL Exeter Conference in 2008. The number and quality of applications for this scholarship indicated that it should be offered annually.
International House have kindly stepped in to 'adopt' this scholarship and there will be two awards a year from Cardiff 2009 for the next three years at least. The scholarship is named in memory of the founder of International House, John Haycraft.
The aim of the scholarship is to encourage teachers to embark on or to continue small-scale classroom exploration projects to shed light on learner/learner, learner/teacher interations in their own lessons.
DEADLINE - 1ST SEPTEMBER
We apologise that this year the deadline for application is very tight.
* Teachers interested in applying should submit a research outline with its rationale (between 400 and 500 words) to the IATEFL office by 1st September 2008. Email is fine - see IATEFL website for more details and address.
* Applicants can enter projects already under way or planned for the academic year 08/09.
* A progress report or a final report on the work shoudl be presented at IATEFL Cardiff 2009.
* Applicants should send a passport size photograph.
* A panel will select the winner by 15th September in time for the winner to submit the six-page speaker proposal form for the Cardiff conference - deadline 22nd September 2008
* You don't need to be a member of IATEFL to apply for the scholarship but successful non-members will have the membership fee (£45) deducted from the award as all presenters must be members of IATEFL.
Each award is for £1000 to be used to meet project expenses, an IATEFL membership subscription (if applicable) and some attendance expenses for the IATEFL Conference.
Jane's blog is now closed - see our Guest Writer's page to find out who our current blogger is.