You are here
Who cares about English? Panel discussion recording
The British Council and the Oxford English Dictionary sponsored a discussion with an expert panel on Thursday 27 September 2012. The event considered issues such as:
- Does ‘standard English’ exist in today’s globalised society?
- Who regulates the language – lexicographers, the education system, the media – or the public?
- Is the language being dumbed down? And does this matter?
- Should we be worried about the state of English today?
John Knagg, Head of English Research at the British Council chaired the discussion with these panel members:
- John Simpson, Chief Editor, Oxford English Dictionary
- Romesh Gunesekera, novelist
- Henry Hitchings, journalist and author of The Language Wars
- Prudence Raper, former Hon Secretary of the Queen’s English Society