Emma's story was first published in 'New Writing 12', published by Picador, in 2004. It was the overwhelming choice for attention by a group of Portuguese teachers of English who were attending a summer school in Norwich in August of that year. They started work on producing the kit while on the course and continued to do so through the autumn of 2004 working, in some cases, over 1000 kilometres apart. The result is a triumph of communication and a challenge to teachers worldwide to come up with something that challenges it as a piece of collective work based on a piece of short literature.
- Short story 28k pdf complete text of 'Visiting time'
- Introduction for teachers 30k pdf
- Characterisation 515k pdf Character based activities
- Context 748k pdf background information and exercises
- Word Work 105k pdf language activities
- After reading exercises 52k pdf follow-up and consolidation
- Answer key 92k pdf teacher's notes for activities.
These mp3 files are interviews with the author. They are used in exercises from the Context worksheets
- Interview part 1 - 6.4mb mp3
- Interview part 2 - 2.9mb mp3
To download audio, right click on audio file in the Attachment below and save to your computer.
Visiting time is a great story that had been begging for more. Thanks very much.
I´m grateful to all the Britlit team for the wonderful material they have made available to us, teachers. The combination between the arts and learning English through them makes it unbeatable. THANKS!
We blush in the warmth of your praise ...!