When faced with a challenging writing task, students often don’t know where to start, what to write and how to write it.

Teachers can help learners get started by doing pre-writing tasks, and give them a structure for writing with writing models and frames.

This video shows these approaches in action with a variety of written task types. It demonstrates how to motivate and support students to begin the writing process and how to help them structure and develop meaningful written texts.

Parts 1 and 2 show two examples of teachers carry out pre-writing tasks with lower secondary level learners from Turkey and Argentina.

Part 3 shows a teacher in the UK carrying out pre-writing tasks with a mixed nationality group of young adults preparing for IELTS exams.

Part 4 examines writing models and frames. This section revisits the class from Turkey to examine how a writing model is used to support these learners with their writing task.

Procedure:

Download the session notes. The notes contain discussion, video-viewing and reflection tasks. Follow the tasks by going through the video in sequence. The video and session notes are designed as self-study resources to be worked through together. Techniques are transferable to other classes in other contexts.

Video titles:

Part 1: Pre-writing tasks

Part 2: Pre-writing tasks

Part 3: Pre-writing tasks

Part 4: Writing models and frames

Loading Viddler Videos

Downloads

Comments

Submitted by abgh8156 on Wed, 02/24/2016 - 07:46

Hi The video part 4 is not downloadable like other parts. How can I download it? Abolfazl

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Thu, 02/25/2016 - 15:37

In reply to by abgh8156

Hello Part 4 is working fine here - could you try again? It might be that it takes a few seconds to load, depending on your browser / internet connection. Please let us know if you are still having problems. Thanks, Cath

Submitted by abgh8156 on Thu, 02/25/2016 - 16:55

Hi Thanks for your response. I need to download the videos because my connection speed is so low and I can't access them online. All the videos are downloadable and I can download them but unfortunately the last part of this session "Preparing to write" has not any link for downloading like other videos. Thanks.

Submitted by Samaneh Karkhaneh on Tue, 05/03/2016 - 08:58

Hello. Thank you a lot for the good lessons and videos. I wanted to ask you to recheck part 4. It's not downloadable.

Submitted by Derek Spafford on Wed, 05/04/2016 - 01:08

In reply to by Samaneh Karkhaneh

Hi Samaneh Could you try again possibly using a different browser as I've checked the file and it works fine. Many thanks Del

Submitted by maryela on Fri, 02/23/2018 - 04:44

Hello: Thank you for these very useful videos. I can't download video 4. I already tried with another browser and still can't do it. I read that some other users had the same problem before. Thank you in advance Mariela

Hello, Glad that you find the videos useful and sorry that you are having problems with part 4. I have just tested it and it is working fine for me. If you have already tried using a different browser, maybe you can try clearing your cache and see if that helps? Let us know if the problem persists. Thanks, Cath TE Team

Hi Paola,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems watching the videos - they are working for me here. Can you try using a different web browser, then click on the images and see if the video works? Let us know if you are still having problems.

Thanks,