One brother describes their relationship to his nephew who wants to know more about who his father really was and why he committed suicide.
- Short story 27k pdf Complete text of Ullswater
- Characterisation 355k pdf Character based activities
- Context 792k pdf Background information and exercises
- Word Work 204k pdf Language activities
- After reading exercises 414k pdf Follow-up and consolidation
- Answer key 206k pdf Teacher's notes for activities.
- Seneka MP3 (833Kb)
- Daffodils MP3 (480Kb)
- Nightmare MP3 Read by the poet(1.45Mb)
- Yacht MP3 Read by the poet (1.58Mb)
- Final MP3 Read by the author (11.46Mb)
This kit was written by a group of Italian teachers of English who originally came together under the BritLit project organised by the British Council, Naples during 2006 and 2007. It is the first BritLit kit to originate in Italy and was a direct result of the visit by author Romesh Gunesekera to schools in Naples and Rome in the autumn of 2006.
The original purpose behind the BritLit kits was to prepare students for 'Animating literature' events when the authors visit schools and work with the students. Used flexibly these kits will give students and their teachers enough information to understand something of the author and their works and therefore be able to make the most intelligent use of the visit.
Visits to schools by authors are usually arranged by the local British Council office. If you want to discuss this possibility for your school then please first contact your local British Council office.
See a list of British Council offices worldwide