Teaching pathways: How to teach pronunciation

Our course 'Teaching pathways - How to teach pronunciation' helps you develop your skills in teaching pronunciation effectively to your students.

A teacher standing in the classroom surrounded by students and giving instructions

About the course

In this practical 4-week online course, you will increase your understanding of phonology and your ability to support learners with effective pronunciation activities in the classroom.

Module 1: Understanding pronunciation

The aim of this module is to explore the sound system of English and the way sounds function within it. The module also looks at how to describe the key aspects of pronunciation and relate these to the teaching of pronunciation.

Module 2: Engaging with pronunciation – individual sounds

The aim of this module is to help you to prevent and correct their students' individual sound problems that are relevant to their own context. They experience and evaluate a range of activities designed to practise problematic sounds, and they are given the opportunity to practise teaching their peers.

By the end of this module you will be able to:

• identify the individual sounds of English that are most difficult for your learners to pronounce
  • use a range of activities to give your learners practise in pronouncing problematic individual sounds
  • use effective techniques to prevent poor pronunciation of individual sounds from developing
  • use effective techniques to correct mispronunciation of individual sounds.
Module 3: Engaging with pronunciation – techniques and activities

The aim of this module is for you to understand how to integrate pronunciation practice in the classroom. The module looks at various aspects of pronunciation including stress, intonation and features of connected speech. You'll experience and evaluate activities, and plan how to integrate pronunciation activities with other aspects of language learning.

Start dates and duration

This course is not currently available. Future course dates will be announced.

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Comments

Submitted by Zuleynermc on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 15:02

In reply to by Elsayed Ali Hamada

Me too.

As English educators, it is always necessary to improve our pronunciation to help our students do their best effort.

Hello. I am a language and literature teacher from the Philippines. Teaching pronunciation to students in English Language Classrooms is a challenhing task for a teacher because language as a significant element of culture has made its distinct mark on the speakers of a certain language; hence, the manner that an individual speaks a language, particularly, a language other than the mother tongue, reveals the identity of the language of that individual. The speaker of a a second language applies the accent that that speaker uses in hisor her mother tongue. Therefore, there exists the making of another sound of that foreign or second language. This pertains to how the non-native speakers of English speak the language itself. But, I hope that through this course, I could learn the skills and competencies that would lead me to facilitate the learning of apeaking to my atudents. Thank you for this great opportunity to learn how to teach speaking. God bless.

I'm so glad to have completed this course! I love the explanations and examples. I'm sure my classes won't be the same! Thanks British Council to raise our awareness on teaching pronunciation! I'm looking forward to the next course!

Submitted by Tamador Jumaeh on Tue, 06/21/2022 - 19:41

In reply to by Elsayed Ali Hamada

guys hope somebody can help me I created an account but unable to find my portfolio?
can you help?

Submitted by annele on Thu, 06/23/2022 - 21:56

In reply to by Tamador Jumaeh

I am sorry you are having this problem.

Log in, above your personal details do you see a menu bar? If on a mobile click the three lines to open the Menu.

Do you see a Menu option My portfolio? If you do, click My courses.

If you don't see the My portfolio menu, return to the Training page and follow the steps to Visit our course website

Hope that helps!

Anne

We don't have a confirmed start date for a new runs of  the Teaching pathways courses How to teach Pronunciation or How to teach speaking.  New dates will be published on the main page when they are programmed. Any course that is currently available will show up on your account, on and after the day it starts.

The next course we are running is Teaching Pathways: online skills for 21st century teachers https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-online-skills-21st-century-teachers starting on 19th of July if you are interested in those skills.

Best regards,

Anne

Submitted by Nada Mohamed on Mon, 12/20/2021 - 21:53

I just want to join the course ,but I can not find the enrollement buttom.

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Tue, 12/21/2021 - 15:34

In reply to by Nada Mohamed

Hi Nada

To enrol on the course, follow the instructions (Steps 1-6) on the page above.

Thanks,

Cath

Hi Lilian

To enrol on the course you need to access the courses homepage. You can only access the page once you have created an account and logged in. Have you done that?  If so, click on the courses homepage. You can go to "Explore all courses" - and then click on the course to enrol.

Let us know if you continue to have problems.

Cath

Hello,

We are currently experiencing some issues on the website due to a recent upgrade. If you are registered on one of our online courses, access to the course platform is currently unavailable.

If you are enrolled on 'Teaching pathways: How to teach pronunciation', you will be able to access the course until Monday 4th April. We hope to resolve the access issue very soon.

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by Kirsteen_Admin on Wed, 04/13/2022 - 04:29

In reply to by manalRajeh

The Teaching pathways: How to teach pronunciation course is no longer available. The current course Teaching Pathways: Skills for Remote Teaching is available if you log in to TeachingEnglish and click: Visit our course website.

Keep visiting the Training pages to see course dates for future courses.

Hi Kelly,

I am really sorry that the last date can't be extended. The team are hard at work preparing to open our next course https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/teaching-pathways-skills-rem…. We recognise that the technical difficulties slowed down progress as we upgraded the site and thank you for your understanding.
Best regards,
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

I hope you got access back, our recent upgrade caused some difficulties for people.
regards,
Anne
TeachingEnglish team

Hello,

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by Pedro Garcia on Sat, 03/26/2022 - 04:48

In reply to by Paul Braddock

I have not finished unit 3, module 3. of the course "How to teach pronunciation".
i hope i can do it on monday 4th April. Thank you for the information.

So I found the link, but since the beginning of the current week when I click the link it opens a blank page and I can't access the course. I'm studying module 2, part 2 and the deadline is close, so I am worried I am going to miss all the progress done so far. I deleted all the cookies and restart the browser but it didn't solve the problem. Please, help!

Submitted by Paul Braddock on Wed, 03/23/2022 - 17:52

In reply to by LauraZanelatto

Hello,

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by edoriin on Thu, 03/24/2022 - 13:24

In reply to by LauraZanelatto

I'm having the same issue, I haven't been able to continue the course because when I go to My Courses, it just comes up blank. I cleared my browse cache and tried it both on Safari and Chrome with no luck.

Hi Bunmi Akins,

When you are on the course website, you need to click on the 'Home' tab then the green 'Explore all courses' button. Then you can click 'Enrol in activity' for this course.

If you can't see the course there, you might already be enrolled on it. Choose 'My courses' from the 'My learning' tab to check.

Best wishes,

Rachael
TeachingEnglish team

Hi Awa

As this course doesn't start until March, you could also take a look at these resources on how to teach pronunciation:

Cath

Hi Paulaacri,

To enrol on the course, you need to follow the steps (1-4) above. First, you need to create an account, and then you will be able to log in to the courses homepage. From there, if you click on "Explore all courses" you should be able to see all the courses available right now, and enrol in the ones that interest you.

Hope that helps,

Cath

Dear Cath,

Read all your instructions on how to enrol but even am unable to find the Enrollment button.

I am using an android.

Forgive me to bother you again, but would appreciate your patience and help me with the enrollment as don't want to miss the courses.

Thank you.