Teaching pathways: How to teach grammar

Find out more about our upcoming free online course 'Teaching pathways: How to teach grammar'.

Welcome to 'Teaching pathways: How to teach grammar'

Help your learners notice, make sense of, and become more confident using grammar with engaging, meaning-focused teaching.

In this free 4-week online course, you will learn about the following:

• Deductive and inductive approaches to grammar teaching
  • How to evaluate the best approach for your learners and context
  • Tasks which encourage 'noticing' and restructuring activities
  • Different techniques to teach grammar effectively to your students.

How do I sign up for the course?

How do I access the course after I have enrolled?

On a desktop or laptop computer
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. If you have enrolled in the course, you will see 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the menu bar at the top of the page next to the Home button.
  3. Move your mouse over MY PORTFOLIO to see the drop-down menu.
  4. Click on ‘My courses’ to access your training.
On a mobile device
  1. Log in to your free TeachingEnglish account.
  2. Tap the three horizontal lines next to the home button to open the menu.
  3. Below ‘Home’, you will see MY PORTFOLIO and ‘My courses’ below. Tap on MY PORTFOLIO if you don’t see ‘My courses’.
  4. Tap on ‘My courses’ to access your training.

About the course

Module 1: Understanding methods and approaches

This module provides an introduction to a range of English language teaching approaches. You'll explore and contrast a variety of deductive and inductive approaches before going on to evaluate these in relation to your own learners and context.

Module 2: Engaging with grammar - noticing and restructuring

The module looks at a range of tasks which encourage ‘noticing’ in addition to ‘restructuring’ activities. You will have the opportunity to modify grammar exercises and design restructuring activities.

Module 3: Engaging with grammar - different approaches

The aim of this module is to explore deductive and inductive approaches to teaching grammar. You will look at a range of techniques to introduce grammar.

Start dates and duration

The course begins on 30 August 2022 and lasts for four weeks. Each module involves approximately three hours of study.

Registration for this course closes on 19 September 2022.

Community and forum

The community and forums for this course are on Facebook. You do not need a Facebook account to join.

Join the course community and forum

Cost

Free

Certificates

For participants who successfully complete all tasks and achieve a score of 70% or above in the online exercises, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of the course.

Level of English required

Minimum CEFR B1

Support and troubleshooting

If you have signed up for this course and have problems accessing your learning, please make sure you are logged in, then click or tap the link below:

If you are accessing from a mobile device, please see the following additional guidance:

If you are still having problems accessing your course, please see the advice below:

I can't register for the course

Please make sure you have created a free TeachingEnglish account or that you are logged in to your existing account. If registration is available, you will see instructions for 'How do I register for this course?' at the top of this page. If registration is not available, you will see the message 'This course is not available for registration'.

I can't access the course. I am logged in to my account, but when I click or tap 'My courses' from MY PORTFOLIO I just go to my profile page

Check that you are not logged into your TeachingEnglish account on a different device or browser. Log out of your account on all devices and browsers, and log in again. Click or tap 'My courses' from MY PORTFOLIO. You should be taken to your training course. If you still can't access your course, log out, clear the cache on your browser and log in again.

I can't get my certificate

Certificates are available to participants who complete 70% of the course material. To access your certificate, go to the course platform where you have done your training. Click or tap 'My awards'. If you have completed 70% of the course, your certificate should be available to download.

The name on my certificate is wrong

On the course platform where you access your training, please use the 'Help' button to request a new certificate. Names on certificates are taken from your personal details in your free TeachingEnglish account. To change your name, click or tap on your name to edit your profile. Update the details on your profile page and save the new details.

Comments

Hi Ishka

I can see from your account that you are enrolled on this course. If you are having problems, please log out of your account and then log back in. When you click or tap on My Portfolio, you should now be taken to our our training platform.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Follow the instructions at the top of the page and you should be able to see the course from 30th August under My Portfolio. You won't be able to start it before so check on that day and get back in touch if you have any problems then :).

Anne

Hi Osama

Please follow the instructions on the page to enrol on the course. Please also check the 'troubleshooting' section if you are having problems.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by EmpressR on Tue, 08/02/2022 - 22:12

I'm looking forward to the free Grammar course.

Hi Nigar,

Scroll to the top of the page to get all the help you'll need to start the course. The information about joining it below, and there is a lot more helpful information to 'troubleshoot' starting the course. You can't start until the advertised start date. Hope you enjoy it!

Anne

How do I sign up for the course?

Submitted by tankwong on Wed, 08/03/2022 - 07:58

I saw
Start dates and duration
Course begins on 30 August 2022...
registration for this course closes on 19 September 2022

Does it mean one can still register after the course begins?

Hi Tankwong,

Yes, you can start the course at any point in the lifecycle of the course, but give yourself time to finish it comfortably :). You access the course when it's convenient for you.

Regards,

Anne

TeachingEnglish team

Submitted by sabahat on Tue, 08/09/2022 - 19:05

I’m unable to get registered myself on the following course despite following all the given instructions… Teaching Pathways: How to teach grammar?”
Please help n advise

Hi Sabahat,

I've just checked your account and I can see you are already enrolled on the course. I recommend that you log out of your account and log back in. Once you have logged back in, you should see 'MY PORTFOLIO' in the top menu bar on a laptop or desktop computer. On a mobile device, tap the three horizontal lines next to the home button to open the menu. Below ‘Home’, you will see MY PORTFOLIO and ‘My courses’ below. Tap on my 'My courses' to access our training platform. Please note the course doesn't start until 30 August.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Dear benJAHmin,

Please follow the instructions on the page to enrol on the course.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Hi Dimutha,

We recommend logging out of your account and then logging back in. Once you have logged in, click or tap https://open.teachingenglish.org.uk/Home/ExploreProgrammes From there, click or tap the 'Explore all courses' button and enrol on the grammar course. For instructions on accessing the course after you have enrolled, please see the information on the page.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by Oluwafunmilayo… on Wed, 08/10/2022 - 08:13

Hello, I have created an account, but I can't find where to enrol in the course.

Submitted by Paul Braddock on Wed, 08/10/2022 - 10:59

In reply to by Oluwafunmilayo…

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Hi, to change the profile picture please go to 'My account', then click or tap 'Edit' and remove the picture. You can replace it with your own image.

Thanks

Paul (TeachingEnglish team)

Submitted by monirul on Thu, 08/11/2022 - 04:23

I am monirul kobir from Bangladesh. Hopefully i will learn a lot.

Submitted by Manzoor Alam on Thu, 08/11/2022 - 07:05

sir,
I filled the form for registration but I dont know that I am enrolled or not.
I am not finding that Portfolio or My course.
please let me know how can I find access to the course.

Submitted by speakrightwith… on Thu, 08/11/2022 - 12:13

Hi! I found out the grammar course is starting on the 30th of August. Please send me an email reminder. Thank you

Hi Sinat,

Hi, please log out of your account, then log back in. Once you are logged in, please visit: https://open.teachingenglish.org.uk/Home/ExploreProgrammes and click/tap on 'Explore all courses'. From there you should be able to enrol on the course. If you have already enrolled, click or tap on 'My learning' > 'My courses' to see the course. It starts on the 30th August.

Anne

Hi Yoyinsola,

Follow the instructions at the top of this page ( scroll up to the top). They set out how to start the course from the start date 30th August. Hope you enjoy the course!

Anne

Teaching English team

Submitted by Diyali on Sat, 08/13/2022 - 12:07

I am a working professional and the course timings are not suitable for me. Can I attend the sessions according to my convenience? Also if I am not able to attend the online sessions, will I not get the certificate?

Submitted by annele on Sun, 08/14/2022 - 07:10

Hi Diyali,

You can access the course content and interact with others through comments when it’s convenient for you. The live sessions are recorded. Certificates are awarded to participants who complete 70% of the course.
Anne