Teacher talk - Error correction

In this video, the theme is ways of correcting mistakes. Rachael Roberts, David Petrie, Sylvia Guinan, Lizzie Pinard and David Dodgson give practical tips and strategies we can use to help our learners notice their own mistakes and encourage self-correction. Throughout this video, they provide a number of useful activities that can be used to help students in this area.

Error correction

What activities do you use to help your students notice their mistakes? Why not write some of your favourite activities below in the comments.

Teacher talk is a series of videos featuring some of our TeachingEnglish Associates speaking about important teaching issues.

If this video is not available for viewing in your location, please click here

Comments

Submitted by Shahla Aminaei on Wed, 11/12/2014 - 20:26

Dear TeachEnglish group I am an English learner in Upper-intermediate level.I want to start teaching English but I really don't know how and from where I should start. I'm looking forward to hearing from you your faithfully, Shahla Aminaei

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Thu, 11/13/2014 - 14:06

In reply to by Shahla Aminaei

Hi Shahla,

Thanks for your message - if you are interested in starting to teach English, a good place to start would be the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) section of the site. You could watch this video, which gives information about ways to get into teaching - this might be a good starting point. Good luck!

Cath

Submitted by Sebastien Fran… on Wed, 11/19/2014 - 15:58

Hello, I'm an English teacher in France (ESL) in a high school and concerning mistakes, I strongly believe in the power of self or peer correction. What I do is when they give me a draft for their writing tasks, I highlight the mistakes and they have to try to correct them at school and if they can't they can ask me help by asking me a precise question and if one of the students has the answer he can tell it. it is more alive and they understand better when it's a peer who explains. Otherwise, when I give them back an essay, I choose the three main mistakes and I write a note and they have to complete a document I've given them in which they complete the notes I have written to have each time they have to write this document to check their reccurent mistakes. The document is a chart with four columns: Noun/Verb/Syntax/Spelling

Submitted by amari on Fri, 11/27/2015 - 20:20

As viewing what some colleagues have to say about correcting students mistakes, I fairly consider that is important not to over correct them , as this can lead into tapping their heads and in some occasions making them feel ashame which could lead onto them not feeling quite confident and as a consequence stop speaking. One of the techniques I 've been using among all these years of my teaching carrer , is mostly, kind of repeating what they have said as if I have missed or haven't understood clearly their point. In this way, they self correct themselves without feeling that I'm spotting their mistake or making them feel they are totally wrong. And to an extent also gives me the clue if the type of mistake is mostly a mistake of the slip of the mind as we may call or an error, in which case needs further consideration and practice. Other way, might be to keep a record of the students mistakes and then write those on the board and make a group analysis of those particular mistakes I have overheard during their group or pair work performance.

Submitted by juridicato on Fri, 12/02/2016 - 20:41

Hello, My name is Santiago Antonio Gutierrez Leiva and I am a second Semester Student of the Universidad de El Salvador (San Vicente) and we are learning how planning lesson for 10th grade and from first to eleventh and I would want to know some mistakes when teachers are planning lessons in public and private school.

Submitted by pachochin on Wed, 03/20/2019 - 22:30

Hi. I am Guillermo Isaac Villar Mamani. I am from Peru. One of my dreams is teaching the English language because I would like to transmit all the knowledge I have. Greetings from Peru.

Sign up to our newsletter for teaching ideas and free resources