This activity is for young learners living in northern hemisphere countries where it is currently spring, and is especially useful to see how nature comes to life in this season. In this lesson children identify the objects on their worksheet together and then go outside or look at pictures inside the classroom to see what they can find.
They first tick the weather boxes and then search for the plants and animals on their worksheet. When they see an item, they tick the box.
Children then go through the list as a class, putting a cross in the boxes next to the things they didn’t see. If children wish to, they can colour their worksheets and display them. As spring progresses, more and more of the animals on the worksheet appear, so your students may enjoy doing the activity at the beginning, middle and end of the season.
- To celebrate the coming of spring and vocabulary related to nature
- To talk about the weather and the plants, insects and animals we see on a daily basis
- To develop children’s speaking, observation and collaboration skills
- To practise the present simple when completing the worksheet and past simple when reflecting
Young learners aged 6-10
CEF Level A1-A2
- Signs of spring worksheet (one per pupil or group)
- Pictures of spring scenes (optional)
- Pencils to complete the worksheet; coloured pens, pencils or crayons for colouring
- Access to the LearnEnglish Kids website