You are here
Professional Award for Teacher Educators
The Professional Award is the British Council’s qualification for Teacher Educators. It defines professional standards for measuring and validating expertise in teacher training and development.
The Award programme provides:
- integrated training and assessment
- training content underpinned by our Trainer Development Course
- practice-oriented continuous assessment – both formative and summative
- full quality assurance by an accredited Quality Assurer
There are three units in the Award specifying learning outcomes and linked assessment criteria which set clear, measurable assessment standards for each unit. Below is an extract from Unit 1 illustrating the first three learning outcomes and assessment criteria.
The Award is a credit-based qualification. This diagram shows the number of credits for each unit.
Who is the Award for?
No previous teacher educator experience is necessary. It is suitable for:
- teachers at the foundation stage of the British Council’s CPD Framework for Teacher Educators
- experienced teacher educators at more advanced developmental stages who wish to update and assess their knowledge and skills.
How are candidates assessed?
Our approach to assessment is designed to promote learning. It is practice-oriented, centred on the ability to apply learning to ‘real-world’ teacher education contexts. There are three task types: Group tasks, Individual Assignments and Reflection tasks. This combination of task types provides a clearer overall picture of candidate progress and achievement.
Candidates are informed of assessment outcomes at feedback meetings with their assessors. Feedback meetings are arranged as soon as possible after assessment has taken place. Results are validated by the Quality Assurer. Once the results are confirmed, candidates will receive the qualification certificate.
The Professional Award programme is fully quality assured by an accredited Quality Assurer. This ensures that all aspects of training and assessment meet our standards and requirements.