Video 1 - Introduction
This seminar explores practical ideas for teaching pronunciation and listening based on Katy and Laura’s classroom experiences in Dubai and London, respectively. With almost 200 nationalities, Dubai is a true melting pot, and London is "widely recognised as the most multilingual city in the world" (Graddol, 2006:28). One of the main implications for the classroom is with regards to pronunciation (the priority is not to assimilate, but to be intelligible), and listening (the challenge of dealing with a myriad of unfamiliar accents).
In this seminar the presenters make practical suggestions for:
- prioritising areas for pronunciation work in a multilingual class
- adapting pronunciation activities from standard coursebooks for ELF purposes
- exploiting authentic materials
- raising students’ awareness of the responsibilities of the listener
- dealing with students’ misconceptions/negative perceptions of ELF