Peer editing and correction

Whatever type of text you ask your students to produce, peer correction can be a very useful part of the process.

Watch Clare talk about one method she uses with an OHP (overhead projector) and OHT sheets (overhead transparencies). What do you think? Do you get your students to peer correct and edit? Leave a comment below!

For ideas on the process writing approach, have a look at our article here:

If this video is not available for viewing in your location, please click here

Comments

Submitted by enricop on Wed, 05/18/2011 - 17:57

Great idea, gives me a reason to find out which basement the old overhead projectors are buried in!

This is something I can certainly try with my own students, but how would you handle peer correction in the "rougher" schools where students aren't as courtious with each other?

Submitted by Sally Trowbridge (not verified) on Thu, 05/19/2011 - 12:52

If your students are a bit 'rough' you could project the texts straight onto the whiteboard. Others can then take turns to correct on the board and you avoid potential OHT vandalism.

With younger students or students who use a diffferent script you can get them to put the OHT on a sheet of lined paper to help with writing.

Sally

Submitted by Gulshan Huseynli on Fri, 05/20/2011 - 19:13

I am from Azerbaijan.  I have never did peer correction as I always was afraid of  hurting  student's feelings. I mean when you ask someone to check one or other's mistake.  But I liked your idea. Here everybody is working and doing the same thing. I also like the comment where one lady suggested doing it on  a board as I have some rougher classes.

Submitted by matbury on Sat, 05/21/2011 - 03:19

I regularly use peer correction in writing activities with both younger learners and adults. However, rather than using an OHP, they work directly on their peers' work or on a photocopy of it. With adult classes I ask learners to think up six or so specific assessment criteria that they all agree would be the most important for the assignment/task. They work in pairs and assess two other students' work giving a mark on a scale and writing the reasons why.

I've found that just knowing that their classmates are going to read their work makes learners put a lot more effort into writing. The assessment criteria helps them to think more analytically and critically about their own and others' work and over a relatively short period of time, their ability to organise and structure their compositions and use language more allusively and appropriately. The role of the teacher in all of this is pretty minimal, however, learners do appreciate some general assessment from their teacher at the end.

Peer assessment works very well in Moodle. There's a peer assessment asignment type plugin in the plugins repository which is much simpler and easier to use than the Workshop module.

While nobody can deny the observed effectiveness of collaborative learning, I am still sceptical about peer feedback in some cultures where peers do not trust each other.

I am an EFL teacher in Morocco. Over the years, I have observed a reluctance on the part of my adult students to accept their peers' correction.  They want feedback from an expert- in this case, the teacher.

When it comes to writing tasks, I believe the teacher's role should be brought to the fore.

Youssef

Using peer correction doesn't replace teacher correction in this activity.  The two are combined.  The teacher's role is to then go through the corrections and highlight anything that still needs altering or that wasn't corrected in the first place.

I have used this technique with longer writing tasks where students work in pairs.  The students can do the initial writing task as homework.  I have also done the peer correction as homework, which the students quite like as it's a different sort of homework task.  In the next class the students work together in their pairs, going through the two pieces of work with each other, explaining the corrections they had made and trying to come to conclusions.  In the end the final piece of work is marked by the teacher.  In this way the students work collaboratively, and learn from each other.

Submitted by matbury on Tue, 06/21/2011 - 10:43

I've read papers on peer correccted writing programmes from around the world. There does appear to be a tendency for them to be less successful in more patriarchal, heirarchical cultures but they're still very effective nonetheless.

A good incentive for some learners is to grade their assessments according to how similar they are to their teacher's, i.e. the more similar the marks and/or feedback, the higher the mark. I think this drives home the point that it's very important to be able to assess your own and others' writing, i.e. developing language awareness. Somewhere between 25 - 50% seems to be appropriate.

Submitted by japsuy on Tue, 06/28/2011 - 23:04

Excellent idea! I've worked with OHTs and they are very practical and easy to use, the problem are OHPs which are not always available or working. She said that a risk using computers is that they turn to Facebook. What about using a Facebook account to do something like this? I'm currently thinking about creating one for that purpose, has anybody done it already? Any experiences?

Best,

Andrés

Submitted by davidgatrell on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 11:38

I really like this idea.  Even without an OHT, it can work almost as well with pencil and paper.  Once students have edited each other's work, I collect the writing and blu-tack each piece of paper to the walls for different groups to read and comment on.

If resources allow, it can work really well outside the classroom using a wiki.

Just as an aside, I laughed out loud when you said "Any problems, you can hit them right away!"

Submitted by redperil on Sat, 08/27/2011 - 19:59

This is great. As a result of watching this video, I now do a lot of peer correction activites for written work- compositions, warmers- writing word lists on the board, mind maps. My students love correcting each others work and, for the most part, don't mind being corrected.

Submitted by Wario on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 19:50

Thanks for sharing your ideas, this one is really good, students don't get distracted, they're really commited with the tasks, it's just accurate and lets no chance for excuses.

Submitted by sarafroz on Tue, 03/06/2012 - 16:57

Hi

How can I download this video?

Is there anyone help me how to do it?

thanks a lot

Submitted by ha-mid on Tue, 01/29/2013 - 01:41

I like the idea ,though clash of feelings can be a problem . creating a friendly atmosphere in EFL classes is a bit of tricky . the idea of telling students in advance that you are going to get corrected by peers brings up challenges which can traumatize feelings and could create uncalled stress on the part of weaker and shyer students . and by the way ,I suppose writing must be kept as much as possible a private effort . many times as a teacher I have come across those killing eying which students throw on the others , mostly girls .

Submitted by mhandeni on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 19:24

Thank you very much for sharing this video. I have been using this strategy with my students (tertiary level) for a couple of years. I now want to investigate its efficiency. I want to conduct a study on it but I do not know how to go about it. I have got several questions on my mind regarding what  I want to investigate. However, it seems I don't have enough literature on this topic. Could you recommend "good" literature that discusses the matter (Peer editing and correction) intensively and extensively?

Cheers

Sign up to our newsletter for teaching ideas and free resources