In this lesson learners learn about life under the sea. They are introduced to different sea animals through flashcard games, then they complete a worksheet to invent their own sea creatures, which they present to their classmates. At the end of the lesson they listen to a fun song.
- To learn about some of the animals that live under the sea
- To practise talking about sea animals (big, small, long, colours, it's got/it hasn't got, it can/can't, etc.)
- To give learners an opportunity to create their own sea creature and present it to their classmates
- To provide listening practice with an ocean-themed song
CEFR level A1–A2
Materials needed for face-to-face lesson
The lesson plan and worksheets can be downloaded below in PDF format. In addition, you will need:
- flashcards: https://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/flashcards/sea-animals-flashcards
- song: https://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/songs/everything-beneath-the-sea
- sticky tack
- colour pens or pencils
Materials needed for online lesson
The lesson plan and class materials can be downloaded below in PDF format.
- The teacher will need the accompanying PowerPoint and worksheet A (for younger/lower-level learners) or B (for older/higher-level learners) in PDF format to send to learners for homework.
- The learners will need colour pens or pencils and paper or a notebook.
Important: Please read
To support teachers having to work online during the COVID-19 pandemic, this lesson has been adapted for teachers providing online classes. The lesson notes are specifically for online lessons and the class materials have been made available as a PowerPoint.
Included in the teachers' notes, there is guidance and advice for what teachers need to know and do before and at the beginning of an online class. Please read the lesson instructions carefully before using them. They are for guidance only, and designed to be used with the most common online platforms. You may need to adapt the lesson to the format and online platform you are working with.