In this lesson children draw a lunch setting and then play a dice game to decide what to eat from a selection of foods, which include many healthy choices. This game can be played as part of World Food Day, which is celebrated on the 16th of October each year, or whenever you cover the topic of food with your young learners. Ideas for extending the lesson are provided in the lesson notes.
Healthy food, healthy eating
- To celebrate World Food Day on 16th of October
- To encourage children to make healthy food choices
- To practise food vocabulary and identify some food categories
- To extend students’ ideas by talking about good food choices and comparing food around the world
- To practise language for making choices, the first conditional with will and to practise simple phrases related to food.
Age group and level:
Primary learners aged 6-8 years old. This lesson is suitable for learners with a beginner level of English
The lesson plan and student worksheets can be downloaded below in PDF format. In addition, you will need:
- One dice per group of students
- Optional: coloured pencils, pens or crayons to colour the lunches; paper, pens and coloured pencils for extending the lesson to include a healthy lunch food display