It forms part of a series of self-study booklets, in which teachers will find useful theory and practice for teaching English effectively, including short case studies and professional development activities to do individually and with colleagues.
Featuring a range of engaging and accessible activities, the booklets help teachers to:
- identify areas for development
- find a variety of ways to improve their teaching knowledge
- develop the skills they need in and out of the classroom.
Teacher educators can make use of these materials to work with developing teachers to help assess and address their learning needs.
Each booklet covers one of the professional practices in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Framework for teachers and is based on research into what effective professional development involves.
In this booklet, you will look at:
- Explaining learning aims and content appropriately
- Setting up classroom activities that include a variety of interaction patterns
- Checking understanding
- Establishing and maintaining classroom discipline
- Making appropriate decisions about which languages are used by the teacher and the learners
- Controlling the pace and timing of activities
The publications are free to download in pdf format.