Little Red Riding Hood

This kit contains a variety of resources based on the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood.

All around the world children love listening to and reading fairy tales in their mother tongue. Whatever the reason, fairy tales provide both children and teachers with a familiar starting point from which to explore stories in a second language.

This kit contains a variety of resources, from text and tasks to illustrations, flashcards and presentations, for you to download and use in your classroom. You can also find online and printable materials for learners on the British Council's LearnEnglish Kids website.

Activities – a collection of activities related to the story

Chants – a collection of spoken drill type activities

Flashcards – to help you to build up vocabulary and support understanding

Play – to help you to use the materials to produce a short play

Story – to help you to tell the story

About this BritLit Kit

This is the first in a short series of kits for primary school learners of English. It was produced to respond to the initiative of governments, including the Portuguese government, to lower the age at which English is taught in state schools. Written by Carolyne Ardron and Sue Clarke, illustrations by Paul Millard.

Comments

Submitted by eman selim on Tue, 06/30/2009 - 13:23

I would like to thank you so much for the great help you have done to us. Actually I had used the play of little red riding hood in class and the result was really fantastic the children were really motivated and they started to participate in a wonderful way it was really unexpected even the ones who were shy. It was great work thanks a lot.

Hi everybody!! I'm Paola, a teacher of English from Argentina. I'd like to know if you could download all the files about Little Red Riding Hood. I tried some of them but I couldn't.

Hi Paola!

I’m Águeda an English teacher from Panamá. I also tried to download the files about Little Red Riding Hood but I couldn’t. If someone has an answer please help us.

Thanks

Submitted by Rob Lewis (not verified) on Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:42

In reply to by agueda castillo

Hi Águeda

Sorry to hear about your problems downloading the file - please try again now, and if you still have the problem I'll send you a copy via email!

Best wishes

Rob

Submitted by perryjn on Mon, 07/12/2010 - 15:45

This whole lesson plan and activities were really outstanding. Thank you very much for sharing all these information.

Perry.

Submitted by watiprihanto on Tue, 09/21/2010 - 06:33

Hi, I'm an English teacher from Indonesia. I usually asked to conduct story telling contest annually. Are there any other stories besides Little Red Riding Hood?

Submitted by nursewithout on Fri, 12/03/2010 - 23:51

Hey thanks for this, I am a huge fan of all children literature. I am also a teacher in California, USA, and My kids love these stories.   If you guys were looking for more stories for your kids I found this directory of stories at http://www.popularchildrenstories.com/,  I think your kids might enjoy them, I know mine have.

Submitted by Bhavna Bhat on Tue, 12/07/2010 - 00:49

Many thanks for a comprehensive site. I need to go for a storytelling session with 30 odd 5 year olds (including my son) and thanks to your site, am raring to go. This is an amazingly well done and researched story. Keep up the good work!

Submitted by hayriye on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 20:07

Thank you for sharing such great ideas. I'm teaching very young learners. I'm sure that they'll love them. I downloaded all the activities. But I downloaded them one by one. Is there a way to download all the attachments at the same time?

Submitted by palmieri.mariana on Wed, 05/18/2011 - 14:07

I've tried the material with young adult students and combine it with The Wolf Tale. Perfect combination!!! Thank you very much for all the resources available!!!

That's a very interesting project, Mariana.  Who'd have thought?!  What ability level were the young adults?  I presume they responded well, given your enthusiasm.

Fitch

Submitted by Mohandas TP on Wed, 10/19/2011 - 16:23

Iam a teacher in English in Kerala, India. Thank you for providing a wonderful chance. I surely would try it among my young learners.

Submitted by AnnaSmith782 on Wed, 05/15/2013 - 18:35

This is really amazing. My 3 years daughter is not so perfect in english but considering her age it is fine but I would like to make perfect in her english language and remembering words. Doing her dressup for a school and bought a cotton dress for her last night.

Submitted by Marta Fernandes on Thu, 03/19/2015 - 10:42

Thanks a lot for sharing these ideas and materials. They are fantastic and our young learners will definitely love them. It's a great help!

Submitted by nia on Fri, 12/04/2015 - 10:55

I've loved all the activities and ideas. They really help developing different skills and also have a focus on different learning styles. Thank You!

Submitted by agg5855 on Sun, 03/25/2018 - 10:19

Hello everyone! The story is great, thank you for sharing! I would like to use it with my 1st graders. Unfortunately, I can't find any audio files for chants. Can you send them to me or upload it here? Thank you for your help.

The chants are published here in Word documents, so that you have the words. The idea is for you to do the chant with any rhythm that fits the words and that is memorable, so there are no audio files for these. To find out more about using chants in class, you might be interested in this video: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/stress-timing Thanks, and hope that helps, Best wishes, Cath TE Team

Submitted by mviro66 on Sun, 08/04/2019 - 12:56

Hi, everybody and thanks for the wonderful and useful material. I have a question : is there audio for the chants ? TIA

Submitted by Cath McLellan on Mon, 08/19/2019 - 11:54

In reply to by mviro66

Hello,

There isn't any audio for these chants, as the idea is you can use whichever rhythm you want and which fits the words to make it memorable for your students. You might be interested in this video which gives some examples of using chants and rhymes with young learners for some inspiration https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/stress-timing

Hope that helps,

Cath TE Team

Sign up to our newsletter for teaching ideas and free resources