Romesh Gunesekera was born in Sri Lanka, and has been living and writing in London since the 1970s. His writing is frequently elegiac and wistful, casting reflective eyes at 'the spoiled paradise' of his original home.
This kit was produced, along with its companion 'Carapace', to accompany Romesh Gunesekera's tour of Portugal in 2004.
- Short story 145k complete text of 'A House in the Country'
- Introduction for teachers 347k
- Characterisation 303k Character based activities
- Context 711k background information and exercises
- Word Work 376k language activities
- After reading exercises 359k follow-up and consolidation
- Answer key 68k teacher's notes for activities.
This is a very useful kit, with interesting stories, but I would suggest to add an audio part to it, since those who study English especially adults study it for oral communication purposes. I had many students who were able to read and knew grammar but were unable to understand while they listened and could not speak.
I think a lot of listening helps to improve listening and speaking skills.
You're right. I'll see if I can persuade Romesh to record it for us.