Annually, the Hornby Trust offer around 12 awards to support teacher professional development projects. There are two categories of awards; one to support teacher associations and one to support Hornby Scholarship alumni.
This year, the award for teacher associations has been renamed the Hornby Trust Teacher Association Project Scheme. This scheme supports small-scale projects to enhance teaching associations' work in public education systems in low- and middle-income countries. Eight awards of up to £2,000 each are available.
The aims of the scheme are as follows:
With a view, particularly, to the enhancement of English teaching in public education systems in low- and middle-income countries, to:
- strengthen existing Teacher Associations (TAs), TA chapters and other English teacher groups or networks
- nurture the development of new TAs, TA chapters, English teacher groups or networks
- contribute to wider participation in TAs, TA chapters, English teacher groups or networks
- promote identification, nurturing and sharing of local expertise
- enhance a focus on stated needs of learners and teachers
- stimulate contextually appropriate thinking on ELT methodology, materials, assessment, etc.
The deadline for applications for the Teaching Association awards is 15 June.
Access the call for proposals and the application form from the Hornby Trust website.