You are here
A.S Hornby Educational Trust scholarships
This is to announce the opening of the recruitment process for the A.S.Hornby Educational Trust scholarships for study in the UK between October 2022 and September 2023.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12.00 midday UK time on Sunday 31 October 2021.
The A.S.Hornby Educational Trust scholarships are awarded every year to English language teachers from outside the UK to study for Masters in TESOL at the University of Warwick. The Trust was set up by A.S.Hornby in 1961 to support English language teaching worldwide.
A.S.Hornby had a distinguished career in English language teaching and developed the Oxford Advanced Learners’ Dictionary, now in its 9th edition. The Trust is a registered charity in the UK.
The scholarship funds study on the one-year Masters in TESOL at the University of Warwick.
- The scholarship covers all costs in the UK including a monthly stipend to cover accommodation and living expenses, tuition fees, and return air tickets, visa and language test costs.
- Eligible applicants for the scholarship award must have at least three years’ full-time English language teaching experience and a full university degree. Applicants also require the level of English proficiency stipulated by the university, which is Band A including equivalent to IELTS 6.5 in writing component. List of approved language tests and the required level can be found here.
- Hornby Scholarships are intended to support experienced English language teachers who have the potential to make a significant future contribution to English language teaching and teachers in their countries. We accept applications from countries listed in the DAC list.
- Applicants who are long-listed on the basis of their application will be invited for an online or face to face interview. The interviews will take place between 22 November and 19 December 2021. If successful at an interview, applicants will then be shortlisted, with the final selection being made by a panel of Hornby Trust trustees. If provisionally selected for a scholarship, applicants will then need to apply for a place on the MA course at Warwick University and demonstrate that they have the level of English proficiency required by the university. The award of Hornby scholarship can only be confirmed once the applicant has been accepted on the course by the university.
If you are interested in applying for a Hornby scholarship, please read through the Hornby Scholarship Applicant Information document in the downloads section below. You will find a link to the online application form in this document.
- For further information about the Hornby Trust: www.hornby-trust.org.uk
- For further information about the Masters in TESOL at the University of Warwick: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/al/study/postgraduate/ma-tesol
- For general enquiries about the scholarships: firstname.lastname@example.org