In this lesson learners talk about holidays and holiday activities. They initially meet vocabulary through a pre-lesson task, then they practise and extend the vocabulary through listening and speaking activities. Next they are introduced to some past simple forms and consider how to categorise them before practising them with some simple games. They also show the class a souvenir from a past holiday and use the past simple forms to write and speak about a previous holiday.
- To review and learn vocabulary for talking about holidays and holiday activities
- To practise speaking and listening skills
- To introduce and contextualise past simple forms
- To enhance motivation and interest by sharing a meaningful object
- To encourage the use of past simple forms in a personalised context
Age and level
Primary students at CEFR level A1-A2
Two lessons of 45-60 minutes or one longer lesson
- Teachers will need the accompanying classroom materials (download below), some holiday realia for stage 1 and a souvenir from a holiday for stage 8.
- The learners will need a pen or pencil and paper or a notebook.