Support for teachers during the Covid-19 pandemic
To support teachers during the Covid-19 pandemic, there are two versions of this lesson plan – one specifically for online lessons and one for face-to-face classrooms where physical distancing procedures are in place, although it can be used in any face-to-face teaching context.
In this lesson learners are provided with an opportunity to think about how schooling may change in the future. They work with pictures showing two different children, predicting what they might see around them and comparing the full scenarios. They imagine what learning is like in the future for the children in the pictures and write about it, then think about how learning might really change. Finally, there is a short language focus on will and then the learners do a project on the 'perfect' school of the future.
- To help learners address any changes that have taken place and those which may happen in the future
- To practise language for describing and comparing and discuss advantages and disadvantages
- To develop listening, reading and writing skills
- To identify and use will for saying what we feel sure about the future
- To give learners an opportunity to imagine a positive future
Older primary (9–11 years)
CEFR level A2 and above
90 minutes or two shorter lessons
The lesson plans and materials can be downloaded below. In addition, for the online classroom lesson, the teacher will need the link(s) to any online tool to be used in stages 4 and 10.
Important: Please read
Included in the teachers' notes for each lesson, you will find:
- Guidance and advice on managing group and pair work activities in face-to-face classrooms with physical distancing protocols.
- Guidance and advice for what teachers need to know and do before and at the beginning of an online class. Please read the lesson instructions carefully before using them. They are for guidance only, and designed to be used with the most common online platforms. You may need to adapt the lesson to the format and online platform you are working with.
A combination of the lesson plan for online teaching and the lesson plan for face-to-face teaching can be used in 'hybrid' situations, where some students in the class are studying from home and others are physically in the classroom. Classroom material for the online lesson is provided as a PDF.