You are here
Dictionary skills for secondary students
In this fun and engaging lesson plan for teenage students, you will find a quiz to help your learners develop their reading and dictionary skills, as well as a series of enjoyable and challenging tasks designed to promote group work and learner autonomy.
Topic: Using dictionaries
Level: A2 - B2
- To develop students’ dictionary skills
- To raise students’ awareness of the information they can find in a dictionary
- To develop students’ skills of prediction when they come across new vocabulary
- To encourage group collaboration in project work
- To promote creativity.
Age group: Secondary / teenagers
Time: 60 minutes +
- Class dictionaries or online dictionary. Cambridge and Macmillan both have online dictionaries: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/ and http://www.macmillandictionary.com/
- Lesson plan
- Dictionary quiz
- Answer key
- Dictionary quiz template
- Appendix A (text)
The plans and worksheets are downloadable and in pdf format - right click on the attachment and save it on your computer.
Copyright - please read
All the materials on these pages are free for you to download and copy for educational use only. You may not redistribute, sell or place these materials on any other web site without written permission from the BBC and British Council. If you have any questions about the use of these materials please email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org