You are here
The Climate Connection - Episode 5: Greenhouse classes
The Climate Connection series overview
The Climate Connection is a ten-part podcast series from the British Council which explores the relationship between the climate crisis and language education.
Across the ten episodes, we’ll hear from a wide range of leading practitioners working in the sector – teachers, trainers, researchers, publishers and authors. We’ll travel from Colombia to China, Moldova to Mali, and Palestine to Poland in our quest to share what’s happening at the cutting edge of climate action in language education.
In partnership with the Oxford English Dictionary, we’ll also learn more about the origins of climate-related language, in both English and other languages.
Episode 5: Greenhouse classes
In episode 5, our attention shifts away from the ‘macro’ to focus more on the ‘micro’. In a double-length interview with Stephen Heppell, a world expert in online education and learning spaces, we explore how classrooms themselves can become more environmentally-positive spaces. He shows how small environmental changes can have a big impact on the learning experience and learning outcomes – and why every child should bring their own plant to school. From the Field takes us to Palestine, where we see how different approaches to language education – in the case the Hands-Up Project’s innovative use of drama and remote teaching – can empower young people to learn more about the climate crisis whilst also developing their English skills. In The Green Glossary, we examine one of the most common climate-related compounds in English, ‘Carbon footprint’, as well as many other collocations of the word.
Each episode contains downloadable show notes. These include the following:
- Information about the interviewees and the 'From the field' section of the podcast,
- The 'Green glossary', kindly provided by Oxford University Press, with links to definitions of key vocabulary in the Oxford English Dictionary
- Ideas for how you could use the podcast in your teaching
- Bonus material
How to listen or subscribe to the podcast
You can listen and subscribe to the podcast in the following ways:
- Download the episode below
- Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts - just search for 'The Climate Connection' and subscribe, or paste the RSS feed URL below in to your podcast platform: https://feeds.captivate.fm/the-climate-connection/
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Spotify