They are introduced to some expressions for speculating at the beginning of the lesson that will be practised in context when they play a board game in small groups. The game will encourage players to read and speculate about customs in a fun way. At the end of the lesson children find out which Chinese zodiac animal they are.
- To learn about Chinese culture
- To practise language for speculating
- To learn how to take turns, reach an agreement with a partner and respect the rules of a game
- To develop intercultural awareness
Older primary/Younger secondary
CEFR level A2 and above
The lesson plan, board, question cards, answers and rules can be downloaded in PDF format below. In addition, you will need:
- dice (one per group) and counters (one per pair of players) – you can print dice and counters here:
I am excited to try this with my high school ELL class. I have one student from China and this will give him a good opportunity to share more information. It will also lead into a project where all of my students will do slideshows about New Year's and other celebrations unique to their countries. Thank you!