Carol Read: The secret of working with children

Watch a recording of Carol Read's talk at the British Council in Warsaw.

Her talk covered a range of primary issues and she gave a number of invaluable tips about teaching primary students.

Comments

Submitted by dorinebeltran on Sat, 03/02/2013 - 11:10

Thanks a lot Carol for this video. It's always very helpful to have a whole session than bits of it. Last I've attended your live session was longtime ago - June 2007 in Paris. But I've been reading your reports on the site as much as could. I'm teaching year 8 and 9 but your tips and practical examples are still good to apply for them. I especially like the RET of the SECRET and of course the "deadly stare". Are there others videos of your sessions available on the site ? How could I find them? Many thanks

Submitted by amen_gental@ya… on Sun, 12/22/2013 - 22:37

This is an incredible presentation Coral. Thank you very much. Peace and much respect

Submitted by li_nan1998 on Sun, 02/23/2014 - 07:59

Dear Carol, Thank you very much for the interactive workshop on how to work with children. I am teaching at the university here in the United States and my students will be teachers. Your workshop is especially helpful for them. I would like to know how I find the complete session. Also, if possible, my email address is li_nan1998@yahoo.com and I hope we can communicate more on working with children. Nan

Submitted by Silvia Estevao on Sun, 02/15/2015 - 19:12

Dear Carol! I love your presentation! You are an inspiration for us teachers. Thanks a lot for being so enthusiastic, cheerful, skilled and generous. I hope that someday you will visit my country to share your ideas with us. Thank you once again Sílvia (Portugal)

Submitted by Marta Oliveira on Sun, 02/15/2015 - 23:15

This video is a great example of how simple activities can be very engaging. The teacher is the secret for motivating students and he has the power to create meaningful learning. We just have to know our students and reflect constantly on our practices. Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful and enthusiastic video.

Submitted by Sandra Pinto on Fri, 10/23/2015 - 17:55

Where does the secret lie? In you! Wonderful! I would love to be in one of Carol's talks.

Submitted by Ana Bela Carvalho on Thu, 10/29/2015 - 00:41

What a lovely presentation. I really liked it. Carol, you are an amazing teacher. I would love to attend one of your presentations. I learnt a lot. Thank you for helping me in my goal to become a better teacher. I consider myself a really enthusiastic person, but after seeing you, I am one hundred percent sure that I have a long way to go, but I am prepared to embrace it. Thank you for inspiring me.

Submitted by Mónica Oliveira on Sun, 11/01/2015 - 18:16

I watched the video “The Secret of working with children” by Carol Read and I found her tips and concrete examples very useful. I would highlight the six key ingredients for teaching which she mentions and comprises in one word: SECRET. S - Sensory Acuity. Any teacher needs to develop his/herability to read children’s signals. Being able to notice and decode children’s reactions may be very helpful. E – Emotions. Emotional intelligence can also be a precious tool. Adopting the position of an observer and trying to see a situation as a whole can anticipate and prevent problems. She emphasizes that it is vital to step in children’s shoes. C- Communication. The importance of body language and eye-contact should also be taken into account. She advises us to avoid pointing and pleading, for instance. She also refers to the “deadly stare” technique. I usually use it with my older students and it usually works. R- Rapport/Relationship. The importance of valuing, praising our students, establishing mutual trust and understanding. E – Evaluation. We should be constantly evaluating our own performance. I totally agree. Reflective practice needs to be a constant. We should plan, do, analyse, review and plan again. T – Tactical talk. Giving children the possibility to choose between activities. If they feel they are choosing, they will feel more enthusiastic about it. But actually the SECRET lies in YOU. At the end of the day we have to resort to the resources we have in ourselves. I totally agree with the metaphor of the fly and I have sometimes felt like the fly crashing against the window pane with some of my classes. It’s not always easy to look at the other side and find a window open…

Submitted by Ana Reis on Sun, 11/01/2015 - 21:58

I totally agree with Carol Read when she says that flashcards are the teacaher's best friends. I love uisng flashcards in the most different situations in order to teach / revise vocabulary. I sue them to play the memoy game, when singing (to highlight the words) and even to tell stories. And children always love them...even more when they borrow the flashcards to "work" with their colleagues.

Submitted by silvia Ribeiro on Sun, 11/01/2015 - 23:18

Hello Carol, I loved your presentation. You are an excellent communicator and you pointed out the key – the secret lays in all of us. Teachers can make a difference. Thanks.

Submitted by Cátia Oliveira on Mon, 11/02/2015 - 12:02

What a great presentation. I really appreciate your words and your body language. You made me feel like a child waiting for a sweet... Thank you for teaching us so many important things about being a powerful teacher! I am sure I will look at the other open window... Cátia Oliveira

Submitted by Orlanda Ribeiro on Tue, 11/03/2015 - 21:06

I loved your presentation. It caught my attention for the very first minute. It helped me to think about very simple things that can help me to be a better teacher! Thanks for your tips! You are amazing!

Submitted by brancaneves on Tue, 11/03/2015 - 23:04

The secret is you, Carol. I loved your body language and I think that many times I look like you, always moving around. Thank you so much for your simple and fantastic ideas. They will be very useful. Thank you.

Submitted by Ana Luis on Wed, 11/04/2015 - 12:32

This presentation was absolutely wonderful! It's mind blowing and changes perspectives! Very interesting and a teacher I'm going to follow from now on. A daily mind problem resolved! We just need to trust in the secret! Thank you Carol Read!

Submitted by Vânia Alexandr… on Thu, 04/07/2016 - 22:13

Dear Carol, Thank you very much for your presentation, it was quite inspirational and motivating. I'll be using your advices. Once again, thank you.

Submitted by Wayan Darya on Thu, 10/27/2016 - 10:00

Thanks Carol, what a great talk. Thank you British COuncil. I personally like the idea of having choices for children when we mean to give them an order, especially when dealing with behaving students. Looking forward to having another talk from you and others related to teaching young learners.

Submitted by Wayan Darya on Thu, 10/27/2016 - 10:06

Thanks Carol what a great talk. Thank you British Council. I personally liked the idea of providing children with choices when we mean to give them an order which can avoid conflict especially with misbehaving students. The idea of teaching secret that mostly relies on the teacher itself is indeed undeniable. I look forward to having another talk from you, and others related to teaching young learners.

Submitted by Erendira on Sun, 11/06/2016 - 04:01

Wow a wonderful presentation, at first I thought that it would take one hour and I was worry about it, but actually I did not feel the time. Congratulations!!! Erendira

Submitted by Abdollah savari on Thu, 08/10/2017 - 00:49

hi class very good

Submitted by karla on Mon, 08/03/2020 - 20:44

I love your presentation Carol!! so important what you said about the E=emotions (third position) also is so true about the body language it´s so important ;I teach preschool children here at Mexico City and body language is so important for young learners to get confidence!   TOTALLY AGREE  THE SECRET LIES IN YOU

thank you!!

Submitted by MARIO ARCINIEGA on Mon, 08/03/2020 - 22:46

It's a very complete strategie to develop with our students.

Excellent Talk...

Submitted by GeorginaSolano on Tue, 08/04/2020 - 00:25

The importance to know that we are working with humans not with robots in order to take into consideration that students need to move, identify their feelings, their emotions, we have to teach in a general context, we have different learning styles and sometimes with simple activities we can do amazing things inside the classroom. That's why is relevant to implement strategies that allow us anticipate problems.

Submitted by Mohamed Gilmour on Tue, 08/04/2020 - 08:35

This sweet person has the passion to teach English to everyone who want to learn it, I mean it, she is very tactful to the time to teach the Language, in a typical and special way. Where all the audience starts to comprehend, because, she always how to handle it, no matter with who are dealing with. On this occasion she is explaining the different activities and games for the children, just for the kids are learning and have fun at the same time. I'm afraid she got the touch and the patient to go for it and make it.

Submitted by JUAN MISAEL OR… on Wed, 08/05/2020 - 15:59

Me usto mucho la presentacin de la maestra, me gusto mucho el entusiasmo con el que dirije las actividades, ojala que siempre tuvieramos esa energia para trabjar con los chicos, muchas gracias!

Sign up to our newsletter for teaching ideas and free resources