Can anyone take these courses?
The online courses available on TeachingEnglish are developmental courses for in-service teachers. If you are looking for a qualification, or not yet working as a teacher, you might like to try CELTA.
What experience do I need to take the course?
This depends on the course - you can find more information about who each course is suitable for on the course page. You can use our continuing professional development framework to help you understand your level of experience: http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/continuing-professional-development
What level of English do I need? How much does the course cost?
This information is available on the course page.
What are the different types of courses?
We offer three types of courses online.
- Self-study workshops - workshops which you work through on your own to complete.
- Self-study courses - courses which you work through on your own to complete. Some self-study courses have the added option of having your portfolio assessed, in which case a tutor will assess and give feedback on your portfolio as you work through the course.
- Moderated courses - courses which are led by a moderator (online tutor). You work with the moderator and other teachers (maximum 20) from around the world to complete the course.
Do I receive a certificate?
Certificates for all courses are provided as PDFs.
- Moderated courses and self-study courses taken with assessed portfolio: for participants who successfully complete the course, there will be a downloadable certificate of achievement with the tutor's signature and course grade at the end of the course.
- Self-study courses without assessed portfolio and the self-study workshops: for participants who successfully complete all tasks, there will be a downloadable certificate of completion at the end of each unit.
Can I have a printed certificate or transcript?
If you would like a printed certificate after you have completed your course, we can send you a signed and stamped letter confirming your course result along with the stamped certificate. There is a £15 (GBP) charge for this service, using standard post. Please contact email@example.com for more information or to order your certificate. Please enquire for prices if you would like your certificate to be sent by courier.
How do I apply?
Please click ‘apply here’ on the course page and complete the application form. We will contact you within three working days with further instructions.
How do I pay?
The British Council uses PayPal for online payments. When you are accepted on a course, you will be sent payment instructions. You do not need a PayPal account in order to pay, and can pay with most credit and debit cards. PayPal also allows you to pay with an e-cheque. See paypal.com for more information. Note that if you choose to use an e-cheque, your place on the course will not be guaranteed until the e-cheque has cleared.
What is the refund policy?
See this page for full details.
What are the terms of sale?
Please see this document.
Can I take a course for free?
We don’t have any free courses but you can try some of our sample units for free - just follow the instructions in this link: http://courses.britishcouncil.org/teachertraining/course/category.php?id=85
Can I take a face-to-face teacher training course?
Yes! The British Council has an extensive network of teacher training centres. CELTA is just one of the many courses you can take with us around the world - find out which countries we offer it in here. For details of other face-to-face courses where you are, please contact your local British Council office. Choose your country from the drop-down menu on this page for their website and contact details: http://www.britishcouncil.org/
If you have any further questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org