MA in English Language Teaching: Online
Enhance your career prospects with the world’s English experts and open up a world of opportunities with an internationally recognised post-graduate qualification in English language teaching from the UK.
The MA in ELT has been developed by the British Council in collaboration with Southampton University and is completely online, offering you an affordable and convenient way to study. It takes 2.5 years and is aimed at experienced English teachers.
Focusing on current theory and practice in applied linguistics and language teaching, the course will help you develop advanced knowledge and skills in English language curriculum, pedagogy and assessment.
Take this course and you will:
- take part in online discussions with internationally renowned staff from the University of Southampton
- learn through using interactive multimedia course materials including lectures and podcasts
- have access to the University library and its stock of e-books and journals online
- gain the skills and knowledge you need to take on leadership roles in ELT
“…a very challenging and exciting experience that has helped to develop my skills…the main advantage for me is that I can study from home and continue with my professional work” Nat, MA in ELT graduate, 2014
Free online learning
You can get a taste of what studying this MA would be like with the free online course Understanding Language: Learning and Teaching at FutureLearn. It’s been developed jointly by the University of Southampton and the British Council.
If you take this free short course, you could become eligible to apply for a small number of scholarships to cover part of the fees on the MA. The scholarship would cover first-year fees on this 2.5-year online programme. You will have opportunity to register your interest during the course.
Terms and conditions for the scholarships:
- You need to be a fully participating learner in our Understanding Language: Learning and Teaching MOOC.
- Scholarships will be awarded by the lead academics on the online MA programme, by judging applicants’ personal statements.
- Instructions on how to apply for a scholarship for the online MA programme will be given to you at the end of the Understanding Language: Learning and Teaching free online course.