I would like to raise the topic "does co-education corrupt the youth?" Because it is of vital importance in the present educational system all over the world. I don’t know what exactly is happening all over the world. But I know pretty well the situation in Andhrapradesh, India, here there are both co-educational and separate schools for boys and girls.The situation is the same at the intermediate level. Some think that co-education is the best and some favour separate schools for boys and girls especially at the secondary and at the intermediate level because during the period the students are subject to physical, psychological, sociological and religious, cultural and gender-based aspects very vigorously.The intensity of the problem may be different from country to country and culture to culture but the attraction to opposite sex is the same all over the world. I teach at secondary level, first I would like to express my opinions. I think there are both advantages and certain disadvantages of co-education. I would like to talk about the topic from my personal point of view. The advantages are:
- the boys and girls know one another and adjust themselves to the changes that are happening in their bodies and minds because of the onset of puberty.
- It is easier for the teachers to control the class in the co-educational school .The boys in separate schools are much more noisy and some times uncontrollable.
- we can celebrate the functions and national festivals more naturally and colourfully .boys and girls mix freely and add charm to the festivities.
The disadvantages are
- during the pre adolescent and adolescent period the boys and girls are attracted to the opposite sex too much. so there are sexual abuses, rumours, scandals, illegitimate sexual contacts in certain extreme cases.
- It is rather difficult to discuss the sex related problems like HIV, AIDS etc freely in the class now I would like to ask the question; Which is better for the youth.? co-education or separate schools for boys and girls?
I worked both in the co-educational and boys’ schools. Personally I favour coeducation despite its certain obvious disadvantages. Instead of me talking about the pros and cons myself I would like to know the comments from the teachers, Educational psychologists, sociologists and the feminists etc on this vital educational issue Awaiting your valuable comments on this global issue. Yours sincerely,