The Maputo Reader’s Corner is a new space here in the ELT Online Reading Group to promote the habit of reading and sharing together poems and stories in English. The immediate objective is creating a space where we can read and share literary stories and poems for creating conversations in English, and in the longer term we aim to encourage members write and publish their own poems and stories on the website.
The Maputo Readers' Corner is for English students and teachers from private and public English schools in Maputo City, but with the online space we will also count on contributions from schools outside Maputo City and even out of Mozambique.
This space is actually part of a tripartite project that promotes three kinds of reading groups: reading groups in your local school/workplace, radio sessions on Maputo Corridor Radio, the Radio Mozambique English Channel, and the online sessions on this website. A team of facilitators will help groups organise and conduct their group’s temporary reading sessions for an easier access to stories and poems that will be read and shared on Local, Radio and Online sessions. Members are invited to suggest the stories they would like to read and share with others, be it an original story in English or a story in Portuguese but would like to see it translated for sharing in English. The stories and poems we will share with you are from English school textbooks approved for use by the National Education System authorities, translated stories selected from Portuguese textbooks, and also from books being used in private English teaching institutions.
Telling stories is an African way, tell yours now!
1. English Learning and Teaching (I –V level) for RC members
2. Translation/Interpretation (English – Portuguese and vice-versa)
3. Research on ELT trends (especially) in Mozambique
4. Seminars and Workshops on ELT and the Role of Literature in ELT
5. Reading Groups at Schools: Academic Association (NALEnglish)
6. Reader’s Corner: Radio sessions at Maputo Corridor Radio (MCR)
7. Newsletter (reporting our activities and the schools’ involvement)
8. Publish and English Forum (research, literature, interviews)
9. Camping and Tour Guiding
10. Anthology (writing competitions)
Maputo – Mozambique
- Teaching resources
- Teacher development
- Teacher training