''Knowing about things... Knowing oneself... Knowing an audience... Portfolios are your own stories of what you know, why you believe you know it, and why others should be of the same opinion." (Pearl & Leon Paulson)
A portfolio is a purposeful collection of student work that exhibits the student's efforts, progress and achievements in one or more areas. This collection includes self-reflection and standard-based criteria. Today, with the developing technologies, we are moving forward from traditional portfolios to electronic portfolios. An electronic portfolio, also known as an e-portfolio or digital portfolio, is a collection of electronic evidence assembled and managed by a user, usually on the web (also called Webfolio). They may include text, electronic files, images, multimedia, blog entries, links, audio, animation, pictures, videos etc. It may include the users' education history, recognition, reflective comments, assignments, projects, goals, plans, personal interest, activities, presentations and many more. It shows your past, your present and where you will be going next; your future. Here are some of the reaons why to put the traditional folder on to www.
- It makes your work accessible from anywhere, anytime and it can widely reach to a broader population.
- It provides a record or an evidence of what you have achieved up to now. It's not only a CV. It's more than that.
- It also helps you to realize what you have achieved so far.
- It highlights your promoting skills and qualities which you have and which you need to develop.
- It provides a personal learning environment that makes you take part in your own learning process.
- It reflects your future. It shows your skills, goals, success and accomplishments.
- It boosts your self-esteem.
- It helps to develop multimedia literacy.
- It can easily be processed, presented, updated and if needed; duplicated.
- It allows you to use hypertext that you can make clear connections.
- You can easily stand out from the crowd and get the attention you deserve.
- It can be a way to show how serious you are about your career.
E-portfolio is you-in digital. It's your digital self and your digital story. Here is mine. What's yours?
All the best,
BBC and British Council are not responsible for the content of the external links.