In Israel, all teachers who teach 10th -12th grades are required to teach literature and assess their students. What I love about this program is that it gives a framework for teachers to work with. The following are the components that every teacher must work through:
- Pre reading activity to encourage involvement in the topic: use pictures, music, Youtube and brainstorm the theme.
- Lower Order Thinking Skills which includes teaching vocabulary and asking basic understanding questions: use puzzles, sentence completions and quizzes.
- Higher Order Thinking Skills which includes analysis questions and literary terms.
- Bridging Text and Context which exposes the students to the historical, social and cultural context: use pictures, videos and articles.
- Post-Reading Activity which requires the students to make connect the text with their personal experience through writing a song, drawing a cartoon, or making a powerpoint presentation.
- Reflection in which the students reflect on their own learning process of the literary piece and the higher order thinking skills.
- Summative Assessment is an exam in which the students demonstrate their understanding of the text.
This is a sample of a whole unit: http://tlc.cet.ac.il/ShowItem.aspx?ItemID=ff33c199-9f79-41d2-b66a-7e1770e92d76&lang=EN I think that this gives teachers an opportunity to be creative while exposing students to the world of literature. Do you have a solid structure to work with when you teach literature?