Topic: Documentary programmes
- To provide information relevant to interests of students for use in post-video work
- To present/reinforce language
- To give learners an opportunity to use language from video
Age: 11 - 14 year olds
Materials: Video - Any short factual programme or extract from one. There are lots on CBBC - Take a look at What's on? (I used the very beginning of the TV series Walking with Dinosaurs.)
- Learners do True/ False quiz on topic.
- Learners have 3 minutes to write down words they know in English on topic.
- Learners watch video and check answers to quiz.
- Identify a language point from the video: - numbers, past tenses, comparatives. Ask learners to note down any they hear.
- Learners make posters on topic.
- Learners do project work on topic using magazines/internet.
- Learners do further work on language point introduced.