TeachingEnglish
      Telling a story

This is the first in our new series of video tips. What do you think is important when you tell a story to young learners?

Watch the video of our six tips then if you have more tips to share, leave them below.

Flash was unable to load.
      You either have JavaScript turned off, an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player or the Flash Player is not compatible with this platform.

Average: 4.2 (130 votes)

Comments

Haleema's picture
      Haleema
      Submitted on 2 November, 2009 - 13:44

Young learners love to talk that's what I have experienced and they love to share incidents and their imaginary characters, so its good to ask them after telling the story if they have something similar to share with their peers.

Paula Copeland's picture
      Paula Copeland
      Submitted on 5 November, 2009 - 12:54

This is a great start to a tutorial on how to teach English and prompting children to pay attention in class. Getting the attention of children may just be the toughest part of teaching.

aliciaorri's picture
      aliciaorri
      Submitted on 5 November, 2009 - 17:43

Sometimes students at a very young age are a little bit more active than the children in the video, might be the age might be cultural, so I had to learn to adapt the techniques to the group I am teaching at the moment. Getting to know your audience preferences helps a lot.

Mila Marega's picture
      Mila Marega
      Submitted on 6 January, 2010 - 14:57

I agree, the audience makes the difference. I've put some acting while Im telling stories, they feel part of it and helps you to keep their attention.

Agustina Belén's picture
      Agustina Belén
      Submitted on 29 September, 2010 - 00:50

Story telling is a great tool for teaching!
      Every single Friday I tell a story to my students. They really love that time, though not always the stories are about what we are studing (because i haven't got enough stories) it's still usefull as they can enjoy a beautiful story and also have fun in the classroom.
      As you do, Mila, I also act out a little. I work in a bilingual school and English is not our mother tongue, so there are many words that my students don't know but by seeing it they can grasp the meaning of  every new word or expression. And as you said, it also makes them feel as if they are part of the story, becuase it goes beyond the limits of the 'book'. But be careful of not to make your story telling session a drama session.
      It's pretty useful to practice your story many times before presenting it, so that you can see how much you can add and in which parts.
      Story telling is always a magnificent tool but we should know how to use it.
      Thank you very much Bitish Council for such a clear video. It's highly comprehensible and to the point!!! Thank you Very Much!!!

greisi's picture
      greisi
      Submitted on 5 January, 2011 - 20:18

I do agree. storytelling is a great way to keep the children concentrated and involve them into conversations where they can easily express themselves and interact with each-other as well.

miladghamari's picture
      miladghamari
      Submitted on 22 July, 2012 - 21:41

good usage of hands, it helps them to understand