You are here
Pros and cons of lockdown
Many young people have felt angry, depressed and frustrated during the Covid-19 pandemic, especially when schools were closed and they weren’t able to do ‘normal’ activities. In this lesson, students listen to what others felt in an animated video. Next, they explore and share their own emotions. Finally, they consider what was positive (as well as negative) about the pandemic and create a new voice-over for the video.
- communicate their feelings about different aspects of the pandemic
- develop listening skills by watching a short animated video
- expand vocabulary to express emotions
- learn to describe positive and negative aspects of an issue
Age and level
Secondary students at CEFR level B1 and above
- Student worksheet
- Link to video: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-53553784
- Video equipment (this depends on how you intend to show the video)
Important - please read
To support teachers during the Covid-19 pandemic, there are two versions of this lesson plan – one specifically for online lessons and one for face-to-face classrooms where physical distancing procedures are in place.
Included in the teachers' notes, you will find the following:
- Guidance and advice for what teachers need to know and do before and at the beginning of an online class. Please read the lesson instructions carefully before using them. They are for guidance only, and designed to be used with the most common online platforms. You may need to adapt the lesson to the format and online platform you are working with.
- Guidance and advice on managing group and pair work activities in face-to-face classrooms with physical distancing protocols.
- A combination of the lesson plan for online teaching and the lesson plan for face-to-face teaching can be used in 'hybrid' situations, where some students in the class are studying from home and others are physically in the classroom. Classroom material for online lessons is provided as a PowerPoint presentation and a PDF.
See our other lesson plans in this series for secondary students:
- Positives and negatives of remote learning (CEFR B2 and above)
- Student well-being (CEFR B1 and above)
- Life after Covid-19 (CEFR B1 and above)
- Conspiracy theories (CEFR B1 and above) - available on request