You are here
This short lesson plan is intended to provide a supplementary activity for primary learners who have been working on the topic of nature. The activity works regardless of the aspect of nature that you have been working on, but there is an assumption that learners will be familiar enough with the aspect to be able to generate a wide variety of words and phrases connected to it.
In this activity, learners look at an example acrostic poem and identify its features. As a class, they build another poem together by following simple stages, then they go through the same stages independently in order to create their own poem. Finally, they share their poems with the other learners and try to guess the topic of each other's poems.
- To help learners identify features of an acrostic poem
- To recycle or extend previous language work
- To provide opportunities to use the language in writing
- To develop learners' ability to manipulate language
- To develop planning skills for creative writing
Primary learners aged 9–12
CEFR level A1 and above
45 minutes approximately
The lesson plan can be downloaded in PDF format below. In addition, you will need card and colours (per learner or pair of learners) for the finished poem.