In this activity, learners brainstorm their ideas for what pets need, then look at the five types of need, categorising their ideas. Then learners work together, making a mind map to plan an information poster which shows what a particular pet needs, and finally producing the poster.
In developing this lesson, it is assumed that learners will have already studied some related language (brush, walk, feed, play, vets, etc.) and are familiar with should/shouldn’t for advice or imperatives.
- To recycle or extend previous language work on the topic of looking after pets
- To provide opportunities to use the language in speaking and writing
- To raise learners’ awareness of the five key welfare needs for pets
- To develop planning and teamworking skills
Primary learners aged 9–12
CEFR level A2+
45 minutes approximately
- Worksheet (one per learner)
- Materials for poster: paper, coloured pencils, glue, scissors, etc. (set per pair or group of learners)