However, there are complex issues and challenges associated with this scenario. This volume draws together a range of voices from around the world, addressing issues such as:
- the perceptions of individuals and communities of the role and benefits of English
- language policy and the introduction of effective change in education systems
- the use of the mother tongue or English, as a medium of education
- the role of 'local Englishes' and their use alongside global standard English
- equity: the widening of access to English
- the contribution of English to national and international development
- the role and challenges of English in 'fragile' situations.
Edited by Hywel Coleman
You can download the papers individually below, or as the complete book.