You are here
Discussion forum - 21st century skills/core skills
About the webinar
Panel members will discuss the integration of 21st century skills/core skills in language teaching and in education in general. The discussion will begin with a video recorded by Andreas Schleicher from the OECD talking about the importance of incorporating a focus on these skills in our classrooms. The panel will then discuss and debate the key issues raised by Andreas and look at the theoretical and practical application of building a focus on these skills into our day-to-day teaching.
What are 21st century skills/core skills?
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Communication and collaboration
- Creativity and imagination
- Digital literacy
- Student leadership and personal development
For more information about the core skills, you can download and read the brochure 'Unlocking a world of potential - core skills for learning, work and society'.
The discussion will broadly address the following question:
Many English language teachers and writers believe that we are here to teach language alone, and that anything else is outside our remit. With so much talk of 21st century skills in other sectors (e.g. business, employability, etc.) should we be incorporating them into what we do, and the materials we teach with, or is this simply a fad waiting to be replaced by the next big thing?
- Amy Lightfoot (British Council)
- Gavin Dudeney (The Consultants-E)
- Rolla Khaddage (Imagine Education UK, British Council Lebanon)
- Dominic Regester (British Council)