TeachingEnglish
      Born, bread and buttered in London

In this lesson students hear a man being interviewed about his life in London. He talks about the different parts of London he has lived in and how things have changed in these areas. The tasks focus students on learning more about London from Google Maps and images and the listening tasks focus them on reading between the lines of what the man says and understanding inferred meaning. Lastly, the lesson finishes with an optional grammar focus with a speaking activity based around ‘used to’ and ‘didn’t use to’.

Topic: London

Level: Intermediate

Aims:

• to develop students abilities to understand inferred meaning
      • to develop students' listening skills
      • to develop students' ability to use ‘used to’ to talk about past habits and states

Plan components

Lesson plan: guide for teacher on procedure.

Download lesson plan

Download audio

By Nik Peachey

The plans and worksheets are downloadable and in pdf format - right click on the attachment below and save it on your computer.

Copyright - please read
      All the materials on these pages are free for you to download and copy for educational use only. You may not redistribute, sell or place these materials on any other web site without written permission from the BBC and British Council. If you have any questions about the use of these materials please email us at: teachingenglish@britishcouncil.org

AttachmentSize
      ALLEN ROOME.mp33.06 MB
      london_plan-1.pdf364.61 KB
      Average: 3.8 (53 votes)

Comments

ramjam's picture
      ramjam
      Submitted on 12 April, 2011 - 11:34

I can't see any image. What is the picture in the document?

Paul Braddock's picture
      Paul Braddock
      Submitted on 8 June, 2012 - 14:36

Hi You should now be able to view the image when you download the lesson plan. Please let me know if you still can't.Paul

JohnSelf's picture
      JohnSelf
      Submitted on 6 June, 2012 - 15:31

Am I mistaken or do we need to BUY premium Apple Quicktime to get the audio? If so shame on the people responsible. Really, is profit what matters in this picture?

Sally Trowbridge's picture
      Sally Trowbridge
      Submitted on 8 June, 2012 - 09:40

HiWe'll get the the image fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know about the problem. The audio works fine here - it should start automatically when you click on it.Sally

pyroz's picture
      pyroz
      Submitted on 10 July, 2012 - 09:11

Your lesson plans and ideas are wonderful. I love this website. I have recommended it to many of my friends!

vunhuthuytrang's picture
      vunhuthuytrang
      Submitted on 4 October, 2012 - 01:39

Thank you very much for this very useful and detailed lesson plan :)

daVinci's picture
      daVinci
      Submitted on 4 October, 2012 - 01:54

I couldn't download the audio file.It says: "the source isn't avalable"please help me out,thanks

dinayha's picture
      dinayha
      Submitted on 19 November, 2012 - 23:30

I couldn't either. I can play the audio, but can't see any links to download it.even when clicking on the MP3 file, it just takes me straight to VLC player. Does it require any specific music player??

dinayha's picture
      dinayha
      Submitted on 19 November, 2012 - 23:34

call me stupid :)I just did manage to download it. Thank you very much.The ressources on this website are priceless !

juliemiz's picture
      juliemiz
      Submitted on 21 March, 2013 - 11:18

I can't download the audio, there doesn't seem to be any option allowing me to do it...any help appreciated! Thanks